What do I do for this Clam?

~Flighty~

Now with more baby
I have a clam that is attached in a very awkard way to a piece of something. Not sure what it is but it came with the clam (plaster? maybe plastic?) Anyway, the problem is that the clam moved over to the edge of this flat thingy so that the thingy is vertical with respect to the clam. I sure hope the picture is good enough to make up for the pathetic description. I don't want to skewer the clam, but can't really put it down anywhere. Do I try to pry it off? Scrape it off? Leave it be?

Attachments

• Clam.JPG
    Clam.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 202
another shot... The thingy in question is seen fron the side here and is the purple stick looking thing

Attachments

• clam2.JPG
    clam2.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 211
i would let it be when it gets secure in its position it may very well let go of the unknown piece and reattach elsewhere

Well it is only touching the thingy, so I can move it anywhere I want. I just set it where the thingy is between two rocks and doesn't poke. So I should set it close to where I want and hope it moves on its own??

try cutting a 1inch thick piece of pvc put the clam on it so the foot is suspended it should let go then you can put it where ever

let me get this straight you can move it to the sand bed right ,its not attached to the big pieces of live rock and you are trying to remove a what looks like a plug from the bottom is that right

Thats right, but if I move it to the sand, I would have to lay it on its side because of the plug. The plug is flat and circular about the size of a small yogert lid and the clam is only attached to the edge. This is a clam that likes to be on rocks, right?

no no if you cut a piece of pvc say 3inch round and 1 inch thick lay the clam in the middle the plug will hang and the foot will let it go then you can place it on a rock say 4inch square and flat so you can move it around to see how much light and flow it likes

The clam is suspended between the rocks the same way I'm picturing what you're saying about the pvc. Just the shell is touching the rock.

How do you know if he likes the flow and light? He seems to be all the way open all of the time, but slightly browner than when I got him. Sorry for all of the questions. I got 5 clams in the MACNA tank and really wasn't ready for them. I traded 4 of them and am trying my hand at this guy, but I'm pretty ignorant in the clam department.

BTW the camera angle is a bit funny in that second pic. He isn't really on his side like that.

why i say to put it on the pvc is so it will not attatch to a big piese of live rock get it to drop the plug put it on a small piece of live rock so it can be moved or sold if you deside clams are not for you.It looks to be very happy its opened up nice.color it could be the food you are feeding but not sure on that how old are your bulbs and what typ do you have.

Ok, I finally get it.

We have dual de150 MH and I havn't really been feeding it anything, but I do feed the tank frozen cyclopseeze frequently. We had it in the sand until recently, but havn't had much consistancy with lighting cycles, flow, or anything else because of the tank switch and plumbing changes and general reef chaos. I'm actually very surprised that everything in the tank is doing well in spite of us. I'm mostly done aquascaping today and after we figure out how we're doing the closed loop, things should be better.

I thought I was running 175s (macna setup again) untill a bulb burned out and I found out that it was a 150 6500K. No wonder they look so yellow.

I would like to upgrade, but it is pretty hard to beat this self contaned fancy dancy light setup. The DEs do seem to throw much more light than the mogul socket ones though. I would guess that they are equivalent to about 200W.

6500k is a great light for growing. It just isn't as attractive to view the items. I am going to be switching to 6500k 250SE's on my frag tank, as soon as I have a show tank setup, I think.

Back