What do people do to encourage clowns to host?

TomD

Non-member
I am just wondering because I've had this issue before. My last tank before we had to break it down to move they took to it but it was over 6 months before they did.

It hasn't been long but they don't seem a bit interested in my RBTA. I've been trying to spot feed the anemone first so they have to go near it to eat but that's not working.

Thanks for any advice in advance

I put my clowns and my nem in a 5 gallon bucket for a couple hours (while acclimating to tank) and they got the idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you can catch the clowns and have a big acrylic tube you can pour your clowns down the tube right into the anemone
Check melvs reef
His idea

Juvenile clowns almost always host right away. The problem is with adult pairs. Best bet is confined space. Small quarantine tank, acclimation box. Something that forces them to spend time together. The tube trick forces them to touch, but then they can swim away and never go back.

Put RbTA in plastic strainer with fish lift strainer and fish will end up in bta. Do it a few time and then float the strainer for a day.....hosting worked for me

Sent from my SM-N915P using Tapatalk

Today most clowns are tank born and raised never seeing an anemone, I would guess this must have some effect on their willingness to host.

Jim

Juvenile clowns almost always host right away. The problem is with adult pairs. Best bet is confined space. Small quarantine tank, acclimation box. Something that forces them to spend time together. The tube trick forces them to touch, but then they can swim away and never go back.

+1 on this all juvenile i have so far goes to host even my frogspawn to the point it dosent open anymore . because of the clown being on top of it all day

Put RbTA in plastic strainer with fish lift strainer and fish will end up in bta. Do it a few time and then float the strainer for a day.....hosting worked for me

Sent from my SM-N915P using Tapatalk
nice trick !

Short of certain types of clowns, like maroons, a BTA is not a natural host for most clownfish. They may take to it, they may not. An ocy or perc will never pass up a Magnifica or Gigantea Anemone because they are their natural host in the wild. Tank raised or wild caught will not have any impact on if a clown will take to a host or not.

If your going to force the issue with them and a BTA, try confining them to a smaller area, like a bucket or something, but I would not force contact.

Ya I don't think it's going to happen. The RBTA has doubled in size since I got it and the clowns weren't babies they were pretty good size. There would be almost no way the way my tank is rockscaped to remove the anemone. He picked his spot and that's where is he saying.

Ya I don't think it's going to happen. The RBTA has doubled in size since I got it and the clowns weren't babies they were pretty good size. There would be almost no way the way my tank is rockscaped to remove the anemone. He picked his spot and that's where is he saying.
Block the light over the anemone casting a shadow on it. It will move within a day. Grab it while it's on the move.

That's the issue I don't want him to move I have a lot or corals placed everywhere so I'd rather leave him at this point.

Get them a nice tea set?

I disagree. I have an adult clown that was living in a frogspawn. I removed the coral and she moved to the nem. It took a few weeks.

I also have an adult clown hosing my frogspawn due to no nem LOL!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Back