What does 46.5" mean?

KAS2

Non-member
I'm upgrading to VHO. 48" NO bulbs would barely fit into the canopy, so I measured the bulbs, and they are exactly 48" including the pins. Makes sense. I ordered 46.5" bulbs and installed the endcaps 1.5 inches closer. Today the bulbs arrive, and they are 45.75" including the pins. What the ... ?

I know lots of things are not what they should be (2x4, for example), but if a 48 is 48, why is a 46.5 something less? Is this for real?

mopecula, I think you missed the point. The bulbs that are advertised at 48" in fact measure 48" when you include the pin length. However, the bulbs advertised as 46.5" actually measure 45.75" including the pin length. Why is that? Does anyone have a spare 46.5" kicking around that they could measure?

Karen, T5 bulbs are advertised as 48"....every one I have ever bought has always been 46.5"

mopecula, I think you missed the point. The bulbs that are advertised at 48" in fact measure 48" when you include the pin length. However, the bulbs advertised as 46.5" actually measure 45.75" including the pin length. Why is that? Does anyone have a spare 46.5" kicking around that they could measure?
I guess I did miss the point but here is what they say on one advertisement for the vho bulbs: * Approx. physical length of the 46.5" lamp is 45 1/8" (that's length of tube, minus the pins).
Who knows why they say what they say?!:eek:

Back