What does your electric bill look like?!

Seems like both of you knows a lot about how we get our electricity. When you say "disconnect" what do you mean by that exactly? Obviously we can't make our own electricity (besides solar panels), but I was wondering if that has anything to do with these offers I see around offering to switch our electric bill from National Grid to them and stuff.

I never went for it cause of some reviews I've read and the fact it sounds like a scam since they say I would still be getting my electricity from National Grid. I never really understood what's in for them to get us to switch.

Is there a way to get better rates on the delivery and services by switching to these places?

Thanks guys

I do the utility investments for one of the largest asset managers in the world, so yes, I know a little :)

The alternative providers are scams, and you cannot trust what the salespeople tell you. I recently had one come to my house, and it was very obvious that once you started asking informed questions, they were out of their depth, i.e. off the memorized script and rebuttals. Then they started with misinformation because they were trying to BS their way through the conversation.

The supply you buy through your utility will almost always be cheaper over time relative to alternative sources, because the utilities have a large incentive to keep your bills as low as possible, and regulators would require it anyway - except for their little renewable pet projects - which often cost more than other forms of generation (in MA), but are getting cheaper. In fact the last time I looked, nobody was cheaper than what I pay now.

The "disconnect from the grid" comment was tongue-in-cheek...it would require either a lot more money than you pay now, or would require huge changes to your lifestyle - starting with ending your reefing hobby. And I am not even sure you can legally do it, but I may be wrong.

Very large house with finished basement maybe 5k sf. Multiple fridges hottub sauna pool and no central AC. I run about high 400s to low 700s at worst in summer. With the collapse of the 300g I am hoping things get cheaper without the heaters/halides and big pumps running.

Pay no attention to the “shame” letters you get from National grid. It’s B.S. When I was working away from home years ago, I was only home for the most part every other weekend. Only thing that was plugged in was an alarm clock and a hang on back filter, heat was gas, I still didn’t get the most efficient neighbors category lol I couldn’t believe it. Seriously you’d have to be dead with everything unplugged for 6 months to MAYBE get that rating. As for my neighbors using as little as I was... nah, Seemed every family had a few kids and I KNOW those kids weren’t always shutting off the lights after they left a room lol no kid does

AGREED! I have a 900 sq ft apartment, and my "tank" has only been up and running a couple months (heater and one small pump in 10 gallon tank lol) I am always shamed by Nat Grid. It's me, a teen boy, and our dog. Seriously maybe 2 tv's (and ps4) on for at most 5 hours a night every now and then. We eat out as much as I cook, and teen is in the bedroom is his cave phase where he pretty much uses the fridge, the microwave, the bathroom and his room. No other lights lol Gas heat and gas water heater. I do run the he** out of 2 window AC units in the summer, but my electric is never below $160. I'm afraid if I plug in all the things for reef they will literally come to the house and dunk my head in it.

That’s going to be a problem when we exchange the PAR meter then haha. I talk to FERC...but the people at the top usually tell everyone else to be careful talking to investors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Something about insider trading... Good thing there’s always reefing to talk about.

Wow, I thought I was paying a lot when the bill got close to $200 last summer after being under $100 for the last 6 years. The jump was due to setting up a 91 gallon reef tank and two 20g qts last year, and I also installed a heat pump in the pool. I'm on Eversource in NH which I think is .19KwH total. Last month was the lowest in a while at $165. House is 2500 sq ft, propane gas (but electric blower) and heat is always at 65-68 in the winter and around 75 in the summer with central ac.

Wow, I thought I was paying a lot when the bill got close to $200 last summer after being under $100 for the last 6 years. The jump was due to setting up a 91 gallon reef tank and two 20g qts last year, and I also installed a heat pump in the pool. I'm on Eversource in NH which I think is .19KwH total. Last month was the lowest in a while at $165. House is 2500 sq ft, propane gas (but electric blower) and heat is always at 65-68 in the winter and around 75 in the summer with central ac.

Guess New Hampshire has much lower electricity than Massachusetts. I'm paying around .25/KwH in Saugus, MA. Pretty much a $70 difference between me paying $270 @ .25/KwH and you paying $200 @ .19KwH up there in New Hampshire this past month :rolleyes:

This is why I started this thread. I want to say I also feel a "little" better about dropping the money I am dropping on electricity. Guess I am not alone or doing anything wrong as far as electricity goes.

Pay no attention to the “shame” letters you get from National grid. It’s B.S. When I was working away from home years ago, I was only home for the most part every other weekend. Only thing that was plugged in was an alarm clock and a hang on back filter, heat was gas, I still didn’t get the most efficient neighbors category lol I couldn’t believe it. Seriously you’d have to be dead with everything unplugged for 6 months to MAYBE get that rating. As for my neighbors using as little as I was... nah, Seemed every family had a few kids and I KNOW those kids weren’t always shutting off the lights after they left a room lol no kid does

I love these letters... I just laugh and toss them in the trash. I have gas for heat, stove and dryer so of course I'm going to not be a** efficient as my neighbors :eek:

No tank for over a month. My electric bill is $170. Granted, it has been cooler and our AC hasn't kicked on as much. But still a huge drop from the previous month.
Unfortunately, my wife did see the huge drop in electricity cost...
Busted lol

That will keep the electricity usage minimum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dong I no lots of ppl are going co-gen. They basicaly use a natural gas gen to heat your house. With that much water you may also want to look into a heat pump heater for saltwater pools. I imagine that would cut water heating cost by half or more

1800 sq ft house oil heat and HW electric stove, 120g setup 20g qt system running, 450 gallon hot tub, 4 window shaker ac units an a kid who does not shut the dam lights off $380-410 in the summer. first year with the hot tub so we will see in the winter this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1800 sq ft house oil heat and HW electric stove, 120g setup 20g qt system running, 450 gallon hot tub, 4 window shaker ac units an a kid who does not shut the dam lights off $380-410 in the summer. first year with the hot tub so we will see in the winter this year.

Shall I just order a set of jumpers we can get that down for you lmao

haha! all fun and games till you get caught [emoji15]

No hot water or heat
54850526-C9C2-4502-AA80-891A9B38FA40.jpeg

Back