What have you all been feeding your fish

orionduck

Non-member
Well I am just curious as what everybody have been feeding their fish! For me it is frozen brine shrimp,.. frank said raw fish and seaweed ...

I was told brine shrimp wasn't that good---

3 yellow tang,
3 hippo tang
10 clown fish
8 damsel

Last edited:
I feed a mix of flake (ocean nutrition formula 1, 2 and prime reef) and frozen (mysis and other) I also feed once a day.

i feed pe mysis, hikari mysis, nls thera a, and nori every once in a while. if you want to stick with the brine shrimp you might want to get the spirulina brine shrimp by hikari, there is a little more nutrition to it.

I feed frozen mysis and spirulina brine every other day and ocean nutrition formula 2 along with nori on the other days. I feed once a day.

I feed New Life Spectrum Thera + and Marine formula pellets as well as mysis, krill and cyclop-eeze once in a while.

I buy a bag of cheap frozen seafood variety (shrimp, scallop, clam, squid, etc) pieces at Super 88 and then blend it up and freeze it in little cubes. I also feed mysis once in a while just to mix things up. (All of my fish are meat eaters.)

I feed Rods reef (min once a day) and occasional mysis

royal gramma
2 Tomato Clowns
1 bangaii cardinal
1 Melanarus wrasse
1 watchman goby
2 anthias

I forgot my fish:

1 blue hippo tang
1 gold rim tang
1 yellow eye cole tang
1 PJ cardinal
1 Banggai cardinal
1 blue chromis
2 Melanarus Wrasse
1 christmas wrasse
1 red whip fin wrasse
1 green coris wrasse
1 yellow coris wrase
2 true perc clowns
1 starry blenny

I randomly alternate any combo of the following, once to twice, each day.

• Formula 1 Frozen (RDF)
  • Formula 2 Frozen (RDF)
  • PC Mysis Shrimp
  • Chopped Clam
  • Chopped Silverside
  • Small Mysis (soaked in Vit)
  • Blood Worms (soaked in Vit)
  • Marine Cuisine
  • Emerald Entree
  • Other dried foods (brine, krill, flake, etc.) occasionally.
Also -
  • Daily, I hang a tightly folded sheet of Nori for the preferential herbivores.
  • Provide each of three anemone a Silverside every week or so.
  • Add a couple liquid suspensions monthly for sessile inverts (corals).
In summary, I have consistent staples, but also try to keep it varied.

Last edited:
I buy a bag of cheap frozen seafood variety (shrimp, scallop, clam, squid, etc) pieces at Super 88 and then blend it up and freeze it in little cubes. I also feed mysis once in a while just to mix things up. (All of my fish are meat eaters.)

Hey Jocko - can you give me a better idea what exactly you buy to cut-up, blend, and freeze on your own. Why buy all this stuff if I can make my own.

To that end, what do you use to make your cubes, i.e. what size cube?

Thanks

I used PE Mysis, clams, squid, krill, silversides, and rinse and chop them up. I then soak it with garlic, vit, and add alittle cyclopeze for good measure. I take a cookie sheet, and put a sheet of egg crate in there, scrape the food across the top, and I have frozen cubes.

YUMMY!!!!

Attachments

• DSC02306.JPG
    DSC02306.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:
I feed every other day and alternate in order from Frozen Premium Blend Mysis/Brine, to Forumla One (both carnivore and herbivore, separately) pellets, and -get this- TetraMin Color Tropical Fish Food Flakes. IDKY but everything in my tank FLIPSSS out for these flakes so I have continued feeding with them. I put some in there one day when I was training my algae blenny to eat flakes and he loved them and since then everyone adores when I feed that.

2 True Percs
1 Clown Goby
1 Algae Blenny
2 Peppermint Shrimp
3 Hermits
3 Tonga Nassarius Snails
1 Turbo Snail
1 Astrea Snail

I feed my fish every other day, sometimes three with homemade fish goo, extra mysis, and some tobiko for the mandarin. The foxface also gets some nori on a clip occasionally.

I used PE Mysis, clams, squid, krill, silversides, and rinse and chop them up. I then soak it with garlic, vit, and add alittle cyclopeze for good measure. I take a cookie sheet, and put a sheet of egg crate in there, scrape the food across the top, and I have frozen cubes.

Why should I (any of us) continue to pay for the store version which is likely less nutritious and full of water and gelatins. Thanks for the idea and tutorial. :)

I think I have a quick project for this weekend. That is, other than carving a few pumpkins with the kiddos. ;)

Otherwise - it really seems I am feeding a lot more often than most of the rest of us. That said, thus far (2 years) it has not been an issue either.

Hey Jocko - can you give me a better idea what exactly you buy to cut-up, blend, and freeze on your own. Why buy all this stuff if I can make my own.

To that end, what do you use to make your cubes, i.e. what size cube?

Thanks
BRS fish goo recipe is probably better. I guess mine might be lazy man's fish goo. You could easily just buy some of this at the seafood section of a grocery store, but at Super 88 in one of the freezers they have this bag with like a few pounds of frozen random seafood variety bits. I think it's shrimp, scallop, squid and clams. Also it has fake crab meat, but I toss that out. It's super cheap and I just thaw it and blend it and then freeze it. I started keeping the plastic containers from the frozen mysis and such and I actually fill those and freeze them. Prior to that I would freeze it in a thin layer on a sheet pan and then cut into squares, but that's pretty annoying doing all of that cutting.

The problem is that if you make a lot it can last you months and after a while it can start to get freezer burn and I assume probably some of the nutritional value might get reduced. The perfect scenario would probably be to do it with a friend or something so you can split it and use it all up before it gets dried out and weird in the freezer.

In another thread someone mentioned a very small amount of corn starch in the bag you store the frozen food in to stop the freezer burn.

Upcoming Events

June 9, 2024
Ben Johnson
Club Meeting

Back