what is this? xenia? mojano?

THE WOOKIE

Just Keep Swimming
have had this peice of rock for about 3 weeks. it came from something fishy in RI (very well maintained place) so i doubt it is mojano or aiptasia. it was pulsing earlier like a xenia would. got me a little worried because it is taking over that corner of rock and spreading fast. RSCN0499.JPG

looks like pulsing xenia to me, they like iodine if you want them to flourish squirt them with some fresh water if you don't, it burns them like salt on a snail. mine seem to pulse more when alk is high, it will climb up onto anything you place above it

Green star polyps usually grow from a purple mat. As the purple mat expands, the GSP cover more ground.
Do you see a purple mat there?

I think there's another kind of polyps, (woods polyps maybe?) that don't have a very obvious purple mat. People find these to be a pest.

Cant tell from the pic but, does it have white centers? If it does, i say definitley star polyps. Just like GSP, only pinkish in color, if you leave them they will start creating that purple mat that Moe_K asked about. I would leave it if you like GSP.

At first I thought GSP, then maybe hydroids and now I am thinking xenia. Following along to see what they turn out to be.
Closer pic would def help ID these!

Back