what is your biggest water spill ?

cstmpprl

Non-member
Ours is now about 60 gallons. Yup left the RODI on all night...Filling up a 5 gallon bucket for top off, and went to bed. The RODI is in the converted garage, it has indoor out door carpet, so not as bad as it could be. But still that was not on my to-do list. Shop vac here I come.

I have done the same, RODI left on overnight one hell of a mess to clean up in the laundry room. since then bought a shutoff float and use reminder timers.

We have both, the barrel with the float shutoff, had saltwater in it left over from my water change yesterday. A timer was set but another house hold member shut it off. Well on the bright side, that area needed to be clean anyway. LOL
I have done the same, RODI left on overnight one hell of a mess to clean up in the laundry room. since then bought a shutoff float and use reminder timers.

My rodi setup is in an unused basement bathroom tub so if I forget the excess just goes down the drain. That stinks Michelle but at least it wasn't like in the kitchen or something.

I was so good with keeping an eye on my RO/DI setup and never letting it overflow. Until a couple weeks ago anyway... At least it is set up in my unfinished basement, but the rug had to sit outside for a couple days to dry. My wife came home and saw it and I told her to not even ask.

I haven't done it in a while, but I have walked into a "Lake" in the kitchen half asleep because I left the barrel filling up the night before!

I'll tell you what though, nothing wakes you up faster then walking into a water filled kitchen floor in the dark :cool:

Higor

I have a BRS dual home/reef RODI under my kitchen sink. I have RO for drinking and cooking and RODI water for the tank. I usually put my 5 gallon bucket in the kitchen sink to fill incase I forget and set a timer to 90 minutes. The dishwasher and sink were full or dishes, it was late and I was tired. At 10pm I put the 5 gallon bucket on the floor, turned on the RODI, set the timer, sat on the couch 10 feet away to watch TV and fell asleep. At 2:30am the phone rings. My down stairs neighbor says that water is pour down from her ceiling in her kitchen and dining room.

Long story short; it caused $10,000 of damage to my neighbor's condo! The water pooled on my tile floor and went under my kitchen cabinets then down. I had no damage in my condo except probably sub floor damage under my cabinets that I haven't fixed and I see no ill effects. Who knew 15 gallons of water could do $10,000 worth of damage? Thankfully we're friends and get along as neighbors. My insurance company State Farm, her insurance company Amica were great and everything got fixed. She actually spent about $15,000 and upgraded her whole condo. She said, "I like you but just don't do it again!"

Last edited:
RODI well over 100g covered almost all my basement floor. I used cheap HD lines and they cracked luckily I had a pressure pump so when the pressure dropped it kicked on :rolleyes:

Thank god for wet dry vacuums

75g in the basement a drain hose let go. I noticed just before I went to bed if I hadn't noticed it would have been worse.

Looks like RODI is the main cause for flood. For this reason, I won't be going with my plan to have the ATO container upstairs under the tank. I will have it in the basement and drill a hole for a 1/4" tube to come up to the tank floor.

Luckily my system is in the basement so floods tend to be pretty contained. Worst I've had was about 1" of water on the floor, and yes it was also from a RODI left on without auto shut off.

The good news, I'm a flippin Ninja with a wet vac :)

Looks like RODI is the main cause for flood. For this reason, I won't be going with my plan to have the ATO container upstairs under the tank. I will have it in the basement and drill a hole for a 1/4" tube to come up to the tank floor.

It definitely is. I have since bought a solenoid and setup a feed timer, so once the feed timer runs out the solenoid shuts off the RO unit. Took a little to figure out the length of the timer, but is was the best 30bucks I ever spent.

700+ gallons of RO/DI ...left on overnight at Aquarium Gallery...went into dentist office next door...and they had to close for the day...serve pro to the rescue.

Now I double check...and will drive back to the shop if I have to...

I have done it, so I ALWAYS put the bucket in the sink/bathtub. I once overrode my top off to add water to the tank, and forgot it. Thank god my downstairs tenant couldn't sleep and decided to go for a walk at 4AM, and had water flinging off his ceiling fan. I ruined my living room carpet, and buckled the hardwood floor underneath. It also shorted out the tenants ceiling fan, ruining it, and destroyed his hardwood floors. Its a good thing I have two float switches to stop this(they don't work if you bypass them). It was about 30gal. Another time, I left a hose in my tank and it back siphoned as I sat on my couch eating pizza watching the Patriots game. I got up to get a drink, and I heard squish! WTF!!!! talk about embarrassing. If you don't cause at least one flood in your reefing career you are not a true reefer. The best is when people say that will NEVER happen to me. I was one of them. I have back ups to my back ups, and it can still happen.

Back