What kind of Montipora?

One Eye

former vp of pr
I picked this up from Jeremy (CRA) at his display in Long Island last weekend. It's baby blue.

Attachments

• 2003_0503bluemonti0012 (Custom).JPG
    2003_0503bluemonti0012 (Custom).JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 337
got one from bec like this but a yellow. I forgot what she called it but i am sure she will know what it is

I have one from bec that looks just like that but it's green. :)

Danae? Can't remember.

I'm sure Bec will be around sooner or later.

he uses the term very loosely btw, don't get jeremy started on "how to indentify acro's and monti's" lol

Hey guys... pretty definite its not palawensis nor danae (which is what you guys got form me), though its similer to both.
Let me take a look through the books and see.

Nice grab Darren! Do you know how long CRA had it in house? Just curious about the color stability.

b

It was a true baby blue , I watched that one for awile (nice grab) !I think when I saw it, it was under 2x150 I think the name might have the last letter .. cora maybe a ps in the front.

It comes in as undata. It held color for 3 months or so under 2x150 10k with t-5 blues. The ones I had under 250's became a deeper purple. I can see the similarity to the veron photos of palawensis as well... however, to make piscevore happy I'll say this.. heh... anyone worth their "salt" knows you can't accurately ID most SPS corals... if you really want a lecture, try emailing eric borneman. Heh.

Regardless of what you call it.. it was one of my fav's, and if I had a tank it would have gone in there since nobody wanted it when it was in the shop here.. hehe.

Jeremy was actualy taking a lunch break when I first got to his booth. I tracked him down and paid before he could make it back to the booth so I wouldn't miss out on it. :D
Nobody saw it until my name and sold were written in front of it. ;)

Yeah.. when people see "sold" they want it bad enough that they offer 20 bux more than the other guy, and tell you to tell them it died. Hehe.

With all due respect to Jeremy and Borneman, I love making coral i.d. guesses... and I also think I'm worth my salt. :) It's fun!, and its part of what keeps me interested in this hobby even when no conclusion - even reasonable - can be reached. I think we all know nothing is absolute... its just a game, and gives people a general idea of the 'type' of growth habit in a particular SPS we're talking about.

Having pretty sizeable colonies of what I believe to be M. palawensis and M. danae in my tank, I really don't think that coral is either. I have never seen a full colony of M. undata... but I've seen a lot of frags labeled 'undata,' and they all look different! When you look at Verons shots of M. undata... it makes sense that frags of that coral could look like many different corals, based on conditions. To me, it also doesn't look like M. confusa, M. verrucosa, nor the similar species...
That said, I'd go with M. undata in the process of eliminating (at least in my opinion) the other corals mentioned.

Nice coral Darren!

b

p.s.
M. flabellata is only found in Hawaii... and I don't think that's where Jeremy's shipment came from. The verrucae (sp?) are also much larger on your frag than flabellata... again, just my opinion.

Last edited:
Looks like the same coral.

Eric -
What makes you guess M. danae?
(other than that fact that reefscience has it labeled that way...
which holds about as much weight as our guessing game).
b

Last edited:
What makes you guess M. danae?

I was looking at the stucture and form from all the pictures I have seen on the search engines...

So the best theory is M. danae..(But thats just my guess)

Back