What kind of Montipora?

Also I have come to my conclusion, when it comes to any SPS IDs its all about the hypothesis.

There is a way though...But unfortunalty you need to kill the coral.
(From what I have read)

Ha! What a coincidence. :)

Not me though.

I went to a tradeschool. (Took up welding and later took up a machinist position.. Now I am at Radioshack. LOL

Yeah... I'm hip to the hypotheses (I explained mine in my last post), and how to conclusively i.d. corals. :) But I like to guess also. I was just curious about whether you could explain specifics around your guess, since I explained a few of mine (and you apparently disagree). I'm curious to know what you're seeing that I might be missing to make the difference.

No biggie... I was just asking to extend the discussion around danae versus undata versus a dozen other possibilites. I like staring at these things and distinguishing the fine points.

b

Having pretty sizeable colonies of what I believe to be M. palawensis and M. danae in my tank,

Thats one good thing about the hobby...If a fellow reefer has the corals in his/her position its always a good step in the right direction for a positive ID.. :)
My fault anyway...I jumped the gun and didnt read the whole post.
I was just curious about whether you could explain specifics around your guess, since I explained a few of mine .

Nope cant explain the specifics yet. Just going but what I see in pictures.

(and you apparently disagree)
One thing about this hobby...No one has the right to disagree(Without solid evidence) I dont that evedence about that particular coral. There is so much still to learn about the hobby.

Just like my teacher once said about being a machinist.
(Many Moons ago).."You can be a machinist for 1 year though 75 years and still not know it all. :D

No.. no... Eric!
You certainly have the right to disagree... I was really just hoping to see what you saw that helped you in your guess/i.d. The fact that I ' have what 'I believe to be' M. danae in my tank is what I used to help me. But who says what I've got is actually M. danae? I'm open to discussion, and just thought I'd see what specifics you were noticing. No evidence necessary... and no challenge intended. I was just looking to understand your clues.

I honestly enjoy these i.d. conversations. I was trying to extend it, not end it! :)

b

If you guys look closely you'll see he has the same coral listed as danea and as confusa...which kinda confusas me :rolleyes:

I'm open to discussion,

Ya, same here...forums are great for everyone to learn. When I first started we didnt have the technolgy we have now and it made things so hard to find aswell as getting the right info on certain things.

My thoughts is you have people that actually read and reseach things on these forums. :D Well some people do. (Example) putting a green dragonette in a nano tank. JUST DONT DO IT!.

Sorry getting of topic.

I honestly enjoy these i.d. conversations. I was trying to extend it, not end it!

Thats great, I like the conversations too..I am hoping to learn alot more about the SPS world. Sounds like you have a great start to. :D

I dont want to high-jack the thread.. But you said you had a post about A SPS hypotheses?

Last edited:
I followed Armandos link. Went to ultra corals. middle pic line 1 and 6. If you click on pic it blows it up....both the same coral.

Wow Darren... I see that now... that's just crazy. You know, it only lends creedence to the idea that some of these places are really just selling a variety of names rather than actually looking at the corals for tentative i.d.s (if anyone cares). I'm not saying that i.d.ing a coral is necessary... or even right or wrong, just that if an attempt is made, it should be an honest attempt! I guess they're assuming customers aren't really looking closely either!

They have 'confusa' and 'danae' on a number of photos on that page, now that I look more closely. And I think in addition to the pair you found, at least one other pair of images may be duplicated. Funny thing... I still don't think either i.d. is accurate! Confusa looks very different from the coral they are selling, and doesn't even enter into the discussion for long, in my opinion. I still think M. undata for those and yours... but that's just me.

Eric -
My hypoetheses for identifying SPS isn't singular nor is it static. I take a look at a variety of characteristics, depending upon the Genus, and go from there. For these encrusting Montipora colonies... its actually a matter of having seen and lived with a number colonies in person, for several years, that helps me i.d. the frags. I have what I believe to be M. verrucosa, M. spongodes, M. danae, M. pertiformis, M. monasteriata (?), M. palawensis, M. grisea, and M. efflorescens. These are the most mature SPS colonies in my tank, for the most part... as I collected them back when nobody gave a rats a** about encrusting Montis... so they were coming in on live rock and being sold dirt cheap! I have looked at skeletal samples taken from most of these, and compared them to images in Verons' book for my own, still tentative verifications. The hypotheses I form by simply looking at a coral (like Darren's or the one's on reefscience) are based on that experiece, plus ruling out what I know I haven't seen before... if that makes sense.

b

Back