What type of tang do you keep in your tank(s)?

Which tang(s) in your tank(s)?

• Yellow tang

Votes: 96 45.1%
  • Purple tang

Votes: 30 14.1%
  • Hippo tang

Votes: 80 37.6%
  • Naso tang

Votes: 23 10.8%
  • Vlamingi tang

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • Kole tang

Votes: 23 10.8%
  • Powder blue tang

Votes: 30 14.1%
  • Achilles tang

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • Powder brown tang

Votes: 8 3.8%
  • Chevron tang

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Clown tang

Votes: 6 2.8%
  • Other, please specify!

Votes: 50 23.5%

• Total voters
I bought a Blonde Naso at TI about 3 weeks ago. I have a tough to control brown calcareous algae.
Tankphotos121106015.jpg

I happy to say the Naso is ripping through this stuff like there's no tomorrow. He peals off big pieces and chases them around the tank till there all gone. I have a Sailfin, a Foxface, an urchin and some extremely large turbos. The Naso is the only thing that will touch it.

i also keep a indo pacific sailfin tang and a blue eyed kole tang. i feed my tangs dried sea weed, mysis shrimp ,scallops, prime reef frozen food and new life spectrum non medicated anti parasitic pellets with garlic.

Bumping this thread to get some fresh input.

Please tell us which tangs you're keeping.

The one fish I have after the move and crash, and the second loss-of-circulation crash is a 5 year old yellow tang.

Last edited:
hippo tang currently, but when i move/get the new tank it will be a hippo, a vampire tang, and a desjardini tang. wish i had a larger enough tank for a maculiceps tang.

Right now I have just a yellow. I had a clown, it was fat and happy would eat anything I put in the tank, then last Tuesday I saw him hidding and he would not come out and eat. I got up at 4 am to check on him he was still alive, then when I got up at 7am he was dead. I had him since a week before Christmas idk what happend everything else in the tank is fine.

I currently have a tomini and a purple-they live in separate tanks though. I have kept a naso, desjardini and brevirostris in the past. They eat nori sheets, a combination of different flake foods with lots of spirulina, pellets, mysis-pretty much anything I put in there. I have been looking for a lavender or a chocolate to add at some point possibly.

All my tangs eat like pigs. I have had him for about a year now and the funny thing is that for the first 5 months he would eat nothing but whatever he could graze off the rocks. I also left one side panel of glass that I never scraped so he could eat off of it. Then finally one day he started to eat pellets. I feed all my fish the same thing, formula one and formula 2 pellets and whatever they can eat off the live rock. The tangs keep my display tank algae free. I have had my yellow and powder blue for 4 years and my sohal at least 2 years.

I can't take pics of Fish for S**T, but I just snapped a few of my 2.5" Black Tang, he eats anything I drop in the tank, and chows on almost any algae he has in the tank, as you can tell he has plenty to choose from...:rolleyes: But it does keep him a little fatty.... I have had him in my 125 gal. for about 8 months.

sorry for the messy glass, I should have wiped it off first...

Attachments

• BlackTang1.jpg
    BlackTang1.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 151
  • BlackTang2.jpg
    BlackTang2.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 145
  • combo.jpg
    combo.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 148
  • combo2.jpg
    combo2.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 157
Thank you, honestly he is the only reason I am keeping that tank up and running...he has a ton of room to grow in there

Your collection of Tangs is pretty awesome!

Back