What type of wood?

Chris A.

Formally toomanyfish
BRS Member
I'm want to start building my canopy today and was wondering what type of wood to use(cheap is good :D )?

what size tank? bulbs-lighting? will it be suspended or sit on top of the tank? paint it? stain it? keep in mind that most cheap (rough cut 2x4 1x3's..etc) are not straight or square. unless you plan to square them up your better off using quality wood. ( if your framing at all)

I really like JBNY's hood on his site http://www.cnidarianreef.com/

It's for a 75g and it will sit on top.2x250MH and 2x110VHOs.Painted black outside and white inside.

any 1" stock surfaced (usually to 13/16 or 3/4") will work Chris. Hardwoods will be stronger, more durable, and easier to stain than pine or fir. Poplar is very good and cheap, but not too pretty when stained. Good choice if you're painting the canopy. Red oak is available at HD, and it isn't terrible, but it contracts and expands more than other hardwoods. Maple can be hard to work with and slightly more expensive.

You could also use hardwood plywood, but it's expensive, and not neccesary for this. Also it takes more work in some cases to cover all the ugly edges of the plywood.

Since you're painting I'd use poplar. Find a lumber yard/building center around you, and they should have poplar surfaced 4 sides in a variety of widths. Finish carpenters use it for interior trim sometimes, so you shouldn't have too much trouble finding it.

Nate

Back