Whats the best way to clean coraline off old PH?

SteveDola

Good Tings
BRS Member
Ive usually just taken them out and wiped them down to do alittle cleaning but I wanted to take everything off these and my CPR HOB Aqua fuge. Whats the best way to clean them>?

thanks guys...thought i soaked it in vinegar but just wanted to make sure. stuff for sale coming soon. :)

MarkO said:
HCL (Muriatic acid). I usually dilute a bit.

Whoa, I've known HCl as "hydrochloric acid" since the 8th grade. I had no idea muricatic acid was the old name for the same thing. I learned something today!

I usually employ a diluted bleach solution to clean my HOTB skimmer and its powerhead. Rinse the parts very well in tap water after soaking in bleach. When I leave them to dry for a couple of hours and come back, the coraline alge flakes off when a little pressure is applied.

I used to use vinegar, but it takes quite some time, like you guys say, an overnight soak. But after speaking with another reefer, he told me he uses muriatic (hydrochloric) acid, which takes only a minute or 2. Initially, I was a bit concerned since HCl is a powerful acid, but he assured me that the plastics and metals the pumps are composed of are not affected by the acid. I think muriatic is diluted to a 20% soluition (don't aske me what molar that is... I slept through chemistry) and I further dilute it another 300-400%. But be careful of the fumes, you'll want to be outdoors or in a well ventilated area!!

One safety note to remember when working with acids - "Do as you oughtta, add acid to watta".

Diluting a concentrated acid is a exothermic reaction (releases heat) and if you add water to acid, it can heat up so violently that it will suddenly boil and push the acid out of the mixing vessel. To avoid this, put the water in the vessel first and slowly pour in the acid. This allows the water to absorb the heat slowly.

Nate

Yeah, one other note when working w/ HCl; wear eye protection. Ya never know if you might get a spalsh. Sounds like a Ned Flanders safety tip, but HCl is very caustic.

Damn you and your talk of Molars, I need to be studying reproduction...wow, that sounds weird. Anywho, after doing some research and finding the density of HCl, pure HCl should have a molarity of 32.4. Therefore, a 20% (v/v) dilution would give about a 6.5M solution. Something seems wrong with this to me, due to the fact that I've never heard of HCl being nearly that concentrated (32.4M), but the math is correct. :) In addition, I found the name listed as Muriatic acid. I'm sorry, I was a Chem. major before med school! (yes, I'm a dork, I know :p )

As for something useful as to where to get it, you can try Fisher Scientific. I'm not sure if any of the suppliers would sell chemicals to a person without a lab, but you can certainly try!

Eric

As others have posted just soak it in white vinegar, it will look like it just came out of the box. I have three power heads and use two, every month I remove one replace it with a clean one and soak it in vinegar, often times I foget about it and it soaks for 3 or 4 weeks (nice and clean).

Jim

I'm guessing you might be able to pick it up at the local hardware store (mine came with my house when I moved in). From what I hear, it's commonly used in masonry to removed excess mortar/cement.

Muriatic Acid is sold in local hardware stores and is used to clean cement. If you chose this way to go definitely use caution. As mentioned, put the water in your pail first then add the muriatic acid. It gives off chlorine gas (something you should not breathe in) and should be done outdoors or in a ventilated area. If used properly it works great!!! Mix about 3 parts water to 1 part acid. Remember wear glasses!!!

So, dip in the acid, then what? Rinse like heck? Or is Muriatic acid like bleach, it eventually evaporates on it's own?

Thanks,
Melody~

I usually just give whatever I'm cleaning a quick rinse. There should be enough "buffer" in your tank to address the excess acid. But Eric is prolly more qualified than me to answer this question.

>HCl is very caustic<

Actually base is very caustic. ;) :p

I use hydrochloric acid all the time. I'm much too impatient to wait for dilute acetic (vinegar) to do the job. Yes, muriatic is the same as hydrochloric. You can get a 1 gallon jug of muriatic at the hardware store for about $3-4. I generally dilute it a bit before use. ONLY OUTSIDE and make sure you are upwind. Goggles are a good idea. Muriatic is slightly less concentrated than concentrated hydrochloric from a lab, but not much. :eek:

HCl will remove the calcium deposits, and the crap that is left you can use bleach on if you like, or just a bit of elbow grease and a scrubbing pad. I actually prefer to use acid because it rinses very clean. Bleach for some things I find hard to completely rinse away. It does evaporate over time, particularly if you warm the items a bit.

You could warm up the vinegar in a tupperware in a microwave, then you will have vinegar on steroid. But watch out how long you warming it up, unless you are planning to clean up the whole microwave... :D

cleaning

Back in the uk i had an easy unlimited supply of HCL which i diluted to clean ph's skimmers etc. After a soak they were like new. Just rinse and use! :)

Back