Whats the best way to kill Xenia

joelg

Non-member
Anyone know of a way to get rid of Xenia and Anthillia short of boiling everything in the tank
I made the mistake of letting it get out of hand now its everywhere
I must have given away and thrown away 15 pound of the stuff
a week later its growing everywhere again

i say go to your lfs and sell it. the money you get from it buy live rock and you probably world make alittle money off it

i say go to your lfs and sell it. the money you get from it buy live rock and you probably world make alittle money off it
I have had a hard time Giving it away so I figure the lfs wont want it
that's why I have been dumping it in the compost

I had the same problem with both, I finally replaced my rock and any time I saw any growing back I would pick it clean with a tooth brush mounted on a long dowel. Some people will say this would spread it but not if you are vigilant, this stuff is truly a curse.

Jim

I had the same problem with both, I finally replaced my rock and any time I saw any growing back I would pick it clean with a tooth brush mounted on a long dowel. Some people will say this would spread it but not if you are vigilant, this stuff is truly a curse.

Jim

my problem with that is i have about 250 pounds of rock that is covered with corals that i want. I was hoping not to have to set up a big stock tank to transfer the clean stuff to and start all over.

I have to cut and scrape it off as much as possible before treating otherwise it will fowl the water there is a lot of it to kill

Im not sure how big your tank is, but I wouldnt do all of them at once. I would do a couple every couple of days.

Again depending on how large your tank is, I would do a water change after the next day. I have a pico tank atm so that would be easy for me, but if you have a 100+ gallon tank then you probably will be fine just killing them off slow but sure.

I put a rock covered in green palys next to some xenia and it caused two xenia stalks to turn color and shrivel up. It looks like it's killing it slowly.

I also have an issue with some clove polyps that are taking over. I tried cutting it back as much as possible and spreading kalk paste on it but it just grew right back. I think I'm going to try a creme brulee torch on them.

use aiptasia X or Joe's juice... just make sure other corals aren't near this stuff though...
I also have a small portion that is growing on one of my rocks... and its growing fast!

I say kalk paste the stuff as it grows

use aiptasia X or Joe's juice... just make sure other corals aren't near this stuff though...
I also have a small portion that is growing on one of my rocks... and its growing fast!

Essentially the same idea and I've used it in the past...

How much kalk paste can i use at a time before it starts messing with my water parameters ?

Depending on how big your tank is (and I'm assuming it's over 100 gallons with 250 lbs of rockwork in ther :p) you should have no problem with a small cup full or kalk paste or joes juice put into your tank a syringe at a time... I might be concerned with killing them all at once polluting your tank so I would suggest killing off 1 or 2 rocks worth at a time.

Put some acans near it for a while.

Actually that's not a bad idea, that or another aggressive LPS like any torch/hammer/frogspawn... This theory is actually how I attempt to keep my GSP in check :rolleyes:

what will they do ?

They will sting and kill the Xenia because they are much much more aggressive...

the tank is 120 gallon plumbed with a 40 gallon breeder frag tank then into a 30 gallon sump the xenia in in the DT and the frag tank. I have been taking the rocks out of the tank and scraping it carefully off with stainless steel picks trying to peel it off as much as possible but there is always some residue left that's the part I need to kill so it dose not grow back

Drop an anemone onto the center of the colony. Lol.

I would personally shut off flow, pull as much of it out by hand as you can, scrape what is left stuck to the rock with a wooden bamboo skewer or too, or a metal one if you feel the metal will be safe for your tank, and then perform a water change. If any grows back at all, I would like to think it should be minimal and you could repeat the process until it stops coming back. Aptasia X or Joe's Juice should also work. I also agree putting an aggressive LPS near it would keep it under control, I would think. Just my 2 cents worth. Then again, i'm trying to grow my xenia... Lol go figure. I believe it depends on the kind though. Because I have light pink pulsing xenia that has barely grown at all since I got it and hasn't spread or broken off and attached in other spots, and then I have a brownish long xenia that is super long when fully open and it is growing fast and already spreading and attaching to my glass. I may get rid of it soon to make room for a big old rock of LPS or SPS when I switch to T5s. Plus I gotta get more rock in general in that tank so that I can place more corals in there.

Drop an anemone onto the center of the colony. Lol.

and then I have a brownish long xenia that is super long when fully open and it is growing fast and already spreading and attaching to my glass. I may get rid of it soon to make room for a big old rock of LPS or SPS when I switch to T5s. Plus I gotta get more rock in general in that tank so that I can place more corals in there.
if you do not want the brown get rid of it now thats what I am dealing with and I have been scraping for months it keeps coming back

i had a problem with my xenia a few years ago.. i ended up surrounding it with frogspawn and those bugger were done in a week!

I decided this weekend it was time to attack the Xenia so I took out every rock that was infested one at a time and used dental picks I found at harbor freight to carefully pick at the base of the coral and slowly peeled it off.
It took about 7 hours but I think I got about 95% of it out.
The rest I will kill off with some kalk paste I hope this works

Back