Whats the next step?

Nikkoli110

Non-member
Well ok, my tank has come a mighty long way since I got here, not too long ago! I wanted to know what my next investment is. I can't get a bigger tank, but I do want to make mine better, and perhaps easier to care for. I'm up for any suggestions and recomendations. Here is my current set up:

-29 gallon aga aquarium
-lighting - currently have 30" aqualight deluxe, but moving to mh as soon as I can pick them up, they are going to be a 250 watt mh, with pc bulbs in a pendant, and I am hopefully going to find (or make, haha) a canopy to mount the lights in.
-1 ro/di unit
-1 penguin 125 hob filter running carbon (does a crappy job of clearing up water)
-1 150 watt heater that sits in my fuge
-18" hob fuge with macro, 4 inch sandbed, powered by rio 600
-bak pak skimmer powered by a now dead rio 600 (have to replace that, any suggestions?)
-35-40 lbs live rock
-1-1 1/2 inch sandbed
-live stock - 1 small tomato clown, 1 yellow watchman goby, 1 neon goby, 1 green chromis, 1 serpant star, 1(used to be 3?) pepermint shrimp, appx. 20 various snails, appx. 25 blue leg hermits, 5 red leg hermits, 1 emerald crab, 1 rock of zoas, 5-6 stalks xenia, 1 scroll hammer coral, 2 heads frogspawn, 1 small slipper coral, star polyps.

I currenly do manual tests, meaning I don't have a refractor, or ph meter or anything. I also do not currenly drip kalk. I test for ph, nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, ca, alk, phosphate, and iron. Any other suggestions would help here too.

I would like to make some improvements to my set up, but would like to know whats most worthwhile, for my tank size. I was thinking of a sump, but only half of the stand is availible to put something in. I also am weary of overflows. Please suggest anything that could help me and make my reefkeeping easier (if that is ever possible :eek: ) Thanks! ;)

I would recomend a refractometer. They are pretty cheep and made a big difference for me.

Could you do a sump in a cabnet next to the tank? I bet evaporation will be a bigger problem with the new lights.

Where do you want to go with the tank? what are the MH for keeping?

How long do you run the carbon for? Carbon if left in for any period of time WILL leach phosphate's into the water.
On the BakPak I would grab a MJ 1200 with a venturi kit.

I'm hoping to get some more lps, and try some sps, and maybe some day keep some clams, but I think they might need a bigger tank. I would love to do a sump, I could possibly buy a new stand to keep the tank in, but I would have to move everything out. Maybe then I should just buy a stand and a tank that is drilled? Does anyone make 29 gallon tanks that have the overflows inside?

I think I am going to get a refractometer, and possibly a ph meter.

Believe me, when I get married and move out in 2-3 years, I am planning on registering at a lfs....hahaha jk but that will be my first home improvment, adding a bigger tank to my own house. But my mom has specifically said that I cannot have a bigger tank. Now she didn't say I couldnt add a sump...lol...but I dont want to push things, I dont pay rent and I would like to keep it that way! :eek:

Any other ideas?

How about some things like a pinpoint ph meter? High quality test or monitoring equipment would be a good investment. You can always use them when you go to a bigger tank.

I meant that I did get an RO/DI already. That was my last big purchase. :) Should I do kalk or is it not needed? If I get into sps I probably have to, right?

The biggest and best(and hardest) investment would be patience ;)
What kind of test kit's do you have. If they are questionable invest in quality kit's I prefer Salifert.
Do you dose your tank with any additive's? I suggest one of the two part additive's like B-Ionic for CA/ALK it's easy and reasonably inexpensive on a small tank.(B-Ionic will gradually raise your salinity)

For the BakPak, I second the recommendation for the MaxiJet 1200 + venturi kit.
A pH monitor was one of the best things I ever bought for my tank.
If you're going to have calcium carbonate demands from clams or coral, then dripping kalk is a good thing in a 29 gal tank. It can be done quite cheaply.
How about a titanium heater? No fear of a glass heater breaking.

Nikki, I wound go with the PH monitor or the refractometer. Probably the refractometer first.

I took the plunge when I accidently dropped my swing arm hydrometer. I had been meticulously mixing water to exactly 1.025. Problem was, it was actually 1.030 according to the refractometer. :eek:

Needless to say, all critters were MUCH happier once I got that squared away. :)

jango said:
How long do you run the carbon for? Carbon if left in for any period of time WILL leach phosphate's into the water.

Not to hijack, but what do you mean by "any period of time." Phosphate woes continue, and I tend to leave that carbon in for "a period of time." :D

-Linda

My biggest issue with my last tank was make-up water. My water level (and salinity) were constantly going up and down and up and down, even if I topped off every day. When I set up my current tank, one of my main priorities was automating the top-off, and my corals were much much happier and grew faster in the new tank (other changes too, of course, but I think the stable salinity was a big part of it). Your new MH will cause a lot of evaporation, so I would concentrate on a auto top-off system. It can be as simple as a 5 gallon bucket with a small powerhead, and a pair of float switches from "RobboT". He mentioned a little while ago that he'd assemble float switches for anyone who wanted it for less than $10 (I think).

You need to dose Ca and Alk somehow if you have calcifying corals (which you do). Limewater is a really easy, cheap way to do it for a lightly stocked tank, so I would start with that. You can add it to your top-off water bucket.

By the way, if your light fixture is a pendant (which I think you said) you don't need to buy/make a canopy for it. In fact I expect you'll have heat problems on such a small tank if you do put it in a canopy. So you can spend that canopy money on more corals!

Nate

I suggest using it for a few hour's, use it to remove what you need it to be removed and get it out.

Certain carbons have no phosphates, so will not leach them into your system.
Black Diamond is one of these brands. Do a search over on RC, there was a thread with experiments posted.

Back