What's wrong with my fungia plate coral?

Nope still have no idea what stressed it out. This is the 2nd time this has happened to this specific fungia though. And AFAIK the Alk has not swung but I also test Alk once per week mid-week between WCs so IDK. I've still been dosing Cal and Alk to maintain levels. Got a gigantic birdsnest that soaks up the calcium in my tank rediculously quick.

Still healing and doing great!
e4uvuneh.jpg

Phos levels?
In the wild fungia can survive extended periods covered in sand or flipped over. IF everything else is fine and the coral wasnt stressed to begin with, it can handle whatever a jawfish goby or blenny could throw at it.

I agree on this. I have seen fungias get sand on them and they just puff up and the sand flows off. It would not cause tissue necrosis like that, especially so quickly. Glad to see it improving.

The only time I've seen coral tentacles turning black like that was recently on my neon green torch. I caught my tang biting the tops off of it and the tips turned black. I removed it from the tank and it's doing fine now. I think you might have a biter in there.

I'm wondering if my jawfish bit it to get food off it. That fish has been a major PITA and while I've never seen it nip a coral, it is pretty clumsy when it eats.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

You may also have a predatory crab in your rocks that you are unaware of. I have one in one of my tanks and I have never seen him, only shed exoskeletons. You can do a search and find a few ideas on how to set simple traps and see if that might be the issue.

Today I was trying to feed my fungia and my only 3 fishes ( clown, 6 lines wrase and a puple one with black eyes similar to a wrase) were taking her food. After several tries I decided to add some fish flakes in a corner of thank. Very fast I placed a small piece of shrimp nearby the fungia mouth and wait there until she was able to eat....it was a show:)

Depending upon the size of the coral you are trying to feed, you can make a feeding guard out of the top of a soda bottle that will help prevent the fish from stealing the food. You cut the top off the bottle leaving the opening in place. It should look like a bell. Place the bottle over the top of the coral and squirt the food in through the bottle opening and the coral can feed in peace. I like 6-lines but feeding corals around them is nearly impossible.

Depending upon the size of the coral you are trying to feed, you can make a feeding guard out of the top of a soda bottle that will help prevent the fish from stealing the food. You cut the top off the bottle leaving the opening in place. It should look like a bell. Place the bottle over the top of the coral and squirt the food in through the bottle opening and the coral can feed in peace. I like 6-lines but feeding corals around them is nearly impossible.

Good idea.... Thank you !!!

I have a number of Plate corals and I do not target feed them. I have found that when you do, you open the door for crabs, shrimo or fish picking at the plates and causing damage. They will be fine just filter feeding or the occasional food falling onto them as they do in the wild.

Yeah I never target feed mine either. As said it's asking for the CUC to pick on it and also leaves the chance of flesh rot from food decay. I don't target feed solids to any corals with the exception of the occasional frozen foods and I make sure they get to eat it in time. But never the plate. Too sensitive.

Wow! Incredible video! Does look stressed though. Pink spots and flacid tentacles at the end. But still absolutely amazing!

Back