when do corals start colonizing

metgraham

Non-member
he title says when dofrag corals start colonizing

im started with some frags when wondering about how long it takes to start colonizing

How do you define "colonizing"?

If you are thinking about sheer size, it depends a lot on the kind of coral and how well it's kept. Most corals will grow slow but then begin to accelerate in their growth after they have reached a certain mass and had enough time to really acclimate to the tank. Common Toadstool leathers will grow massive pretty rapidly, while other toadstools (ie Tyree toad) will grow much slower. Some acros grow painfully slowly, while others will settle in and grow like weeds (of course the weed like acros are usually the brown ones but that's another conversation....)

If you are thinking more along the lines of seeing the same thing popping up all over the tank, a lot of the time that comes from fragging either intentional or by accident. For example if you have a branching monti digi they often shoot branches out all over the place and after a while it's almost impossible to avoid breaking chunks off during maintence and whatnot. Pretty soon those lost chunks start settling and you begin to see the same coral sprouting up all over the place. On the other hand, if you actively frag your corals as they grow, you have to put the frags somewhere and then they gradually start to grow out.

i have a 40br with some corals (starter corals) mush, kenya tree, Zoas , polyps, candycane thanks to DZ6t member

Ahh, it seems painfully slow for a while, then when day you kind of notice that you have to go looking to see the rocks :)

Lighting, flow, nutrients, hardiness of the corals, etc. will also play a role in how fast corals grow.

4 bulb t5 ho with ati bulbs 2 coral, 1 blue plus , 1 ant (love thses bulbs just picked up yesterday) and for flow 2 power heads 1 700 on one side and 1 500 on the other , and for nutrients a little iodine and some Elos Zooplankton twice a week

One thing I noticed, is that it is easy to not think something is growing, but then when you look at an old picture of say a zoa frag, you realize it's doubled in size over time without you even noticing.
How long has the tank been running for? Don't worry, over time you will see growth. I had a zoa frag of fire and ice that barely grew then I had eagle eyes grow a few new polyps every week.

It seems to me anyways that the larger they get, the quicker many corals grow.

he title says when dofrag corals start colonizing

im started with some frags when wondering about how long it takes to start colonizing
Not long. If you can't wait and buy a lot, buy non-aggressive coals. Because pretty soon they will be touching each other.

Back