Where can I buy Gate Valves?

NateHanson

Non-member
I've tried pluming supply houses and pool supply places around here. Do I have to order them, or can they be found locally?

I've seen them at HOme Depot, or at Lowe's. They may not have a choice on sizes but you can try. You can also find them at a boat supply place.

Owen's marine is down the street from me and I've seen them there but it's been a while so I don't know if they still carry them. I'm going down there later early this afternoon and can check, but they're in Hooksett, nh. Home Depot has the PVC ones.... Do you have an Ace hardware around? Seen them there too.

Last edited:
I am also in need of a gate valve. I've haven't seen them at any of the HD arround me. Let me know if you find any and I'll do the same.

NateHanson said:
I've tried pluming supply houses and pool supply places around here. Do I have to order them, or can they be found locally?

That's rather odd, I can't imagine a plumbing supply house without gate valves :confused: . I know I can get them from F.W. Webb here in Gloucester.

Gate Valves, Gate Valves Go Away

There is a reason why small-diameter gate valves are so hard to find: it is because they are not appropriate for the applications reefers want to use them in. Now don't get me wrong. Gate valves serve a major purpose (mainly in other applications), and you can find some small-diameter PVC gate valves. It is just that they are usually not rated for the service we intend to use them in, or are deemed unreliable. Here is what Plubing Supply has to say:
We do not sell PVC gate valves due to their unreliability.
If you must have a gate style type of valve - we recommend brass/bronze gate valves or plastic slice gate valves
Moreover, farther down on the page, in their Q&A section, they have the following:
Q. "I can't find a listing for PVC gate valves. Do you offer them as well?"
A. Because our goal is for 99% customer satisfaction we do not wish to sell PVC gate valves. They are not as reliable as PVC ball valves and they tend to break easily due to their shaft being plastic as well. If you "insist" on (or must have) a gate valve then we highly recommend purchasing a top quality brass gate valve (which we do offer and do recommend).
. If you insist on having a PVC gate valve, try one of their Plastic Slice Gate Valves. So there you have it.

Now there are some legitimate uses for PVC gate valves, but probably not in our hobby. The only use I can think of is where space does not permit the use of a ball valve. Gate valves are something that was unfortunately introduced into this hobby with no scientific or engineering backing. At some time, some "expert" decided to give them a whirl, and now we have the classic monkey-see-monkey-do reefing where the phrase "gate valve" is echoed through forums across the Internet. Again, I'm not implying that you don't have a legitimate use for your gate valve. I just want to make sure everyone else reading this makes an informed decision about the valves they select for their tank and doesn't decide on using gate valves simply because they heard an echo,

Matt:cool:

Matt, the reason I would like a gate valve, is because the PVC ball valves I've used are very difficult to adjust to small degrees. It's not exactly a mindless monkey-see thing.

Nate

Last edited:
I'd say I've mostly used the HD ones. I'll try others. (I can't say I'm all that suprised to hear the HD ones suck.)

NateHanson said:
Matt, the reason I would like a gate valve, is because the PVC ball valves I've used are very difficult to adjust to small degrees. It's not exactly a mindless monkey-see thing.

Nate
Nate,

Yes, the Home Depot brand of ball valves are really bottom of the line, and are ball valves only in the sense that their internal workings resemble a ball valve. I doubt they could even be called true ball valves.

Yes, when space is an issue, and people desire a hand cranking mechanism that is easy to turn, yes, gate valves appear to be the more appealing option. However, the irony is, the internal workings of a ball valve are better suited for fine adjustments of flow than a gate valve! So even though the gate valve has an easier to turn hand crank, the ball valve is still better suited for modulating flow. I think it is this counterintuitive feature that tricks people into going all out for gate valves.

In industry, gate valves are used primarily for large diameter applications. The size of a gate vlave (axially) doesn't increase much with the diameter of the pipe, while for a ball valve, the size increases in direct proportion to the size of the pipe (because if the sphere for the ball valve versus a simple plane for a gate valve). For a 96" pipe, you really can't have a ball valve. Butterfly valves are also useful at modulating flow like ball valves, but are better suited for large diameter applications. Again, a plane verus a sphere, but the problem with butterfly valves is the vane transecting the inside. Entrainment can become an issue. There are also globe valves which are useful for on/off applications on up into larger diameters where again, gate valves become more practical.

Try Aquatic Ecosystems. Give them a call, and ask for their best quality PVC (or all plastic) ball valve,

Matt:cool:

If you do decide to go with a quality gate valve (because you want to be able to adjust it accurately) Tropic Isle has them in a few sizes but they are surprisingly expensive. I think Marine Depot also has them.

I repeat from a past post,,, Does anyone know where to get the "higher quality" ball valves????

jimmy...dunno about quality, but I have ordered from www.savko.com with good results. I have one of the combo ball valve/union and I am happy with it. I do run it wide open so I can't say much about how well it adjust flow.

Back