Where to buy glass?

jackd625

Non-member
I tried a search, but couldn't find anything recent. I'm wondering where everyone buys the glass they use for baffles and overflow box.

I know HD and Lowes have that window replacement glass, but that's pretty thin. I'd use it for baffles but, I don't know about an overflow box. If I hit it with a rock or something I'd be screwed. I'm trying to find 1/4" glass.

I seen Hub Glass (I think) in Somerville but they are only open weekdays when I'm at work and I'd rather not take it off.

I looked online, but prices are hugeeee with shipping haha.

I have a cou0ple of 2x4 piece of 1/2" thick glass that you could have for free. They used to be on my coffee table top

I know Lowe's sells glass and cuts it for free. They're are thin but you can definitely use it for bafles in a sump.

They also sell custom glass pieces that need to be ordered. The pieces they sell aren't too bad price wise but I'm not sure on the custom pieces.

I get glass for any local glass store. You want standard plate glass. 1/4" is typically fine for overflows. I prefer the 'gray smoked' color glass. Not quite black. Somewhat transparent, but dark enough that it matches well with a black background. I use RTV100 series silicone adhesive and it works GREAT. Cures quick and is very strong. Can be found locally at any Grainger supply. I have found tubes of both GE and Momentive RTV100 series adhesive at Grainger. I built my overflow with the GE stuff and I think it was old. Later I got a Momentive tube, and it cured perfectly. No idea if there are any differences between the brand. Heck they may be the same company.

+2 on acrylic, I've cut my hand a couple times reaching into a sump that had glass baffles. No not the 55 It has acrylic.

Local glass shop. Have them grind and polish the edges. Your looking at $5-10 per baffle using 1/4 glass. Carful with acrylic baffles in a sump. If they are cut to tight when they expand your sump explodes, always a bummer.

I got mine from ace auto glass.... They cut what ever size or thikness you want..pretty cheap too..

Best thing is to all around to several glass shops, prices can vary widely.

Best thing is to all around to several glass shops, prices can vary widely.

Thats what I ended up doing...

I bought it from Alliance Glass in Dorchester. It's right on the Southie line.

I got 1/4" glass cut as: 2 of 20"X4" and 2 of 4" X 3 3/4"... They charged $10, and did it in like 5 minutes. I called a few other places and they were around $30 and at least a week wait haha...

Back