Where to drill

Paro6k

Cnidaria
I plan on setting up a 55gal I have laying around. My issue is that I want to have a sump area underneath to hide the skimmer. For this sole purpose where should I drill holes? I've had an overflow before and really hated it because it was such a hassle :(.

Also what size do I make the holes, what size pvc, and any recommendations on a pump?
:confused:

You want to drill it in the back of the tank. You want two holes for at least a one inch bulkhead. You want the top the bulkhead to be just below (maybe 1/4") the outside plastic rim of the tank.Build an internal overflow box (lots of examples on this site if you search) and build an external durso drain (should also be able to find it on this site). Id say you want a pump somewhere around 500-700gph at 4 feet high which one of the drains will handle easy. The point of the two drains is not so you can have higher flow, but to prevent a flood in your house if one of them clogs. Ask JayM:D

Another option is drill the bottom, but at 55 gallons you risk the bottom being tempered which will shatter when drilled, so I would go through the back.

im pretty sure almost all 55's are fully tempered

i know mine is thats why its sitting in the basement

I just drilled a 55g to turn it into a sump. And yes, it was tempered. I found out the hard way! It's easy to tell by the thickness of the glass. If it's 3/16 then its tempered, I found that the ones that use 1/4 or thicker are non tempered.

When I broke my tempered tank I had a panel of 1/4 non tempered glass cyt. Cost about $10. I removed the shattered panel, cleaned outt he old silicone and replaced the glass. Then drilled it no problem.

I have an empty 55, idk if it is tempered, i was going to turn into a sump, how hard is it to remove a panel and replace it? Should i just try and drill it and if it shatteres then replace it? Are 45gal tempered too, maybe i could find someone to trade the 55 for a 45

Should i just try and drill it and if it shatteres then replace it?

That's how I did it. Bottoms are almost always tempered, but the sides and back may or may not be in a 55. If they are 1/4 '' glass then probably not tempered.

If it pops because it's tempered then it's easy to take out whats left over. If you drill and it works then it's not tempered and you are all set!

Back