which is better 10k,12k or 14k ?

wwdocp

BRS Member
i have 10k 150w de mh i was just wondering which is better should i just keep my 10k's or switch to a 12k or 14k let me know which seems to work out better for you guys

With actinic supplementation, 10k.
Without actinic supplementatio, 14k.
10k will give you better growth but it's a little yellow. The 14k will look more pleasing to the eyes but slower growth.
It depends on what you want to achieve.

Yup on what This is me said,

Bulbs and their advertised K numbers vary a lot, but in general higher K equals more blue in appearance but less intensity. Lower K will be more yellow and much more intense. 10 K bulbs are great for growth, but most people don't like the way they look with out actinics. 14K bulbs are pretty popular because they can be a pretty good compromise (without actinics).

Also, FWIW, K temp is a subjective number and there isn't a real test for it, so the advertised K numbers on bulbs are not necessarily accurate or consistent. Best bets; go over sanjays testing data (google "sanjay lighting"), and or see different bulbs in person.

>K temp is a subjective number and there isn't a real test for it<

Well, there is a real, scientifically based test for it, but it only works on some bulbs in the industry. The blubs that are Really blue to the eye will not register in the test, FWIW.

Greg, the thing is, its pretty clear at this point that the manufacturers just make up their numbers, as a good deal of bulbs are nowhere near what theyre labeled at.

There is a definite way to measure color temperature, yes, but I'm not convinced that the Aquarium Bulb companies care. There are too many "14K" bulbs that dont even top 10K, and too many 12K bulbs that are close to 20K.

I agree that is it a mess with respect to what a bulb manu. might say. However, on Sanjay's site, if he could measure the bulb temp he does list it. It does have value when you are comparing how one bulb fires on different ballasts. For example, if a bulb has similar overall par values on two ballasts, I will choose the ballast that fires the bulb with more blue because I look of a tank with more blue.

Back