Which Reactor is Which?

sdesi2005

Non-member
I have been looking at all these different types of Reactors lately, Calcium, Phosphate, Kalk ect. My question is, What do they all do, and do I need one? If so which one? Currently I keep all LPS corals in my tank. Everything seems to be doing fine but there is always so much talk about all these different reactors.

To be honest, I'm new at this and this is probably a stupid question but I have no idea what they do, or if I really need one. Please help.

A Ca reactor dissolves aragonite media and supplies the tank with balanced calcium and alkalinity. It needs a CO2 supply in order to dissolve the aragonite.

A Kalk reactor does more or less the same thing in terms of supplying balanced Ca/alk, but the media is kalk/lime and there's an upper limit to how much Ca/alk it can supply (it's limited by the daily evaporation rate of your system).

A phosphate reactor is a completely different device, it's basically a way to remove phosphates from your system by forcing the water through the phosphate removing media.

I think the decision on getting a calcium reactor should be made based on what (and how much of it) you're adding to the tank to maintain Ca/alk levels where you want them... two-part additives, kalkwasser, etc... if it's become a burden, or too costly, then go to a Ca reactor.

What additives are you dosing currently?

Nuno

calcium reactors use Co2 to disolve media and turn it to calcium and alk and drip it back into your tank

kalk reactor is used to drip/add kalk (balanced calcium and alkalinity powder) into your tank

and a phosphate reactor hold media that absorbs phos out of your water

as for the first 2 it would depend on what you Ca and Alk consumptions are and how much you dose per day/week and it you are sick of dosing and want to set one of those to take care of that for you. They will also help keep your Ca and Alk at consistant levels and do away with the swings (better for the corals)
as for the phos reactor unless you have alot of phosphates I would see no need for one

HTH
Ray

Like I said before, I mainly have LPS corals in my tank, I do add Turbo Calcium about once a week and drip that in. I also add misc. additives such as a PH buffer, and about 6-7 other Kent products. Don't get me wrong its a pain, but if I don't need to spend the money on a reactor I would gladly spend the money on corals to finish stocking my tank.

Why do you need to add that many additives? FWIW, a calcium reactor would only replace additions of a calcium additive and an alkalinity additive, nothing else.

Also, what size tank is it?

Nuno

Last edited:
Sounds like you dont need one to me but what are your levels at and what is the size of the tank?
I never add anything I am not testing for and I only add Ca, Alk and Mg

sdesi2005 said:
Like I said before, I mainly have LPS corals in my tank, I do add Turbo Calcium about once a week and drip that in. I also add misc. additives such as a PH buffer, and about 6-7 other Kent products. Don't get me wrong its a pain, but if I don't need to spend the money on a reactor I would gladly spend the money on corals to finish stocking my tank.

LOL What you don't need to spend the money on is the 6-7 other products ;)

I'm new at this. When I first started with the LPS I went out and bought all kinds of bottles of the Kent stuff. I bought Tech CB parts A & B, Coral Accel, MicroVert, Phytoplex, Iodine, Tech 1 and Strontium & Molybdenum. A total waste of money. It looks like I have a chemistry experiment going on in my bedroom. I have a 72Gal tank.

Actually as the media in a ca reactor dissolves mg, trace elements, and whatever else is in the media is liberated. I'm sleepy, maybe someone else can elaborate further. (Greg, where are you now????)

Ca reactors are expensive and can be touchy to dial in initially. Once set up they require very little maintence and have few drawbacks.

Kalk, and Kalk reactors are also great, but if misused can cause large PH swings. Also dosing Kalk without a Kalk reactor can be another chore to deal with and if not mixed and added correctly it can actually throw off ca/alk levels or even make them crash.

As for all the kent additives, just do regular water changes and throw all the additives you can't test for in the trash or place them on a dedicated shelf for decoration since they aren't good for much (most of us have a shelf, box or or other round file area full of kent and other brand additives and miracle cures.) No offense intended here, there are a ton of products on the market that make big claims but have very limited effectiveness. Lots of the additives out there actually have short shelf lives but generally don't have a mfg date listed. Also if there isn't a good test for something there is no way of knowing if your dosing right. Put your time and energy into regular water changes and your much better off.

As for Ca / Alk maintence, Ca and Kalk reactors may seem expensive but if your attempting to keep even vaugely steady levels you'll save quite a bit just in testing supplies. Try testing Ca and alk levels daily, at the same time of day, for a week straight. you'll probablly see what I mean. As for your specific tank (all LPS), the Ca and Alk needs probablly aren't super high, but personally IMO keeping Ca and Alk steady does a lot for general tank stability and control of problem algae and whatnot.

.02$

jk

>Actually as the media in a ca reactor dissolves mg, trace elements, and whatever else is in the media is liberated. I'm sleepy, maybe someone else can elaborate further. (Greg, where are you now????)<

Where am I?....you guys already answered everything!! :p

Yes, when you use a calcium reactor most of the elements within the substrate you are using are liberated, and end up in your tank, this means phosphate, and a whole lot of other things. Really depends upon your calcium reactor substrate you are dissolving.

I agree that it sounds like for your tank you do not need a calcium reactor. They are really for use on tanks that have a lot of very fast growing SPS hard corals and clams, with intense light. I think for your tank either dripping kalkwasser (or pumping it), or using a two part calcium and alkalinty supplement should be all you need. You should be measuring the calcium and alk. as well with test kits.

I Have just upgraded to T5's, I would like to have some easy SPS corals, Monit Cap, elkhorn and may some digitata's. Which reactor should I get? A calcium or Kalk? Why? What is the cost of these complete systems? Can you get these used?

How big is your tank?

Kalk reactor can only keep up with a light calcium/alk load. They seem to run about $150-$250 new.

Calcium reactors can support a much higher load. They run about $450 and up new.

You find these from time to time being sold used here in our Equipment FS forum.

I have a 72 Bow, Mostly LPS, will only be keeping a few SPS, may 4 tops. Will a kalk reactor work? Where do I get one? Does this need a CO2 tank?

There's no CO2 in a kalk reactor. Just RODI water, and kalk powder/pickling lime.

It's not easy to say whether a kalk reactor will completely cover your Ca/Alk demands. But here's a method to try.

1) Measure how much top off water you add per day. Best to keep track of this for a few days and get an average.

2) Measure how much your Ca and Alkalinity drop per day. Maybe don't add anything for 3 days, or a week, and compare the measurements before and after. Divide by the number of days to get your meq/L/day, and your Ca ppm/day depletions.

3) Use this calculator to determine if the gallons/day of kalk topoff that you determined in step one will raise your tank water at least as much as the alk and ca requirements of your tank.

Typically a Kalk reactor doesn't carry the full Ca/alk load of a stocked tank, but it can keep things fairly stable, requiring manual additions of additives much less often than if additives alone are used.

Ca reactor is more of a complete supplementing solution. But it has a price. :)

To be honest, I've really only kept Zoa's, Rics and small LPS corals. I only drip Turbo Calcium maybe every other week and have been dripping Kalk for the past 2 days. I have never measured my Calcium because I never thought I needed to. I thought that the softies and leathers really didn't require a real Calcium load. I just started to become concerned with the calcium levels because I would like to start keeping some small SPS. Would the Kalk reactor be enough for a 'small' Calcium load like this, or should I get a cull Calcium reactor?

First of all, you definitely want to test Ca and Alk levels if you're keeping LPS or SPS (both build stoney skeletons) and if you're dosing anything, you really want to know where you are on the scale so you don't over/under dose and create problems.

As far as which reactor you should get - I really can't answer that question for you.

Personally if I were not going to keep lots of fast-growing SPS, it wouldn't be worth it to me to spend $500 on a Ca Reactor, but I can't tell you what you think about that.

I'd probably just dose with a two part additive, and test regularly for the time being. Then when you've got the new corals you want to keep you can better evaluate whether some sort of reactor is worth the $.

Nate

Hello,
I'm not sure why, but you seem determined for us to justify you getting a reactor. Wish I had one to sell you. :) Seriously, start by buying a good test kit for Calcium and Alk. Salifert, Seachem, and (I think) Hach all make good test kits going by the chatter on this forum. The Salifert kit doesn't come with a reference solution, which I think is the major bonus of the seachem Calcium test kit. Everyone should feel free to correct me as I only have used the Salifert test kit.
Once you can determine how much calcium and Alk your system uses\needs you can make an informed decision on which reactor, if either, is needed. You may be able to simply drip Kalk in with your topoff water.
So in summary, you need to test how much calcium and alk your system uses. There is no magic summary we can pull up to tell you.
Please don't take the above the wrong way. It is meant to be informative, not insulting.

Steve, to give you some perspective and something to compare to, you saw my tank the other day... it's not packed full of SPSs, but I have a number of smallish frags and a couple of larger colonies, plus a clam and various LPS... in 6 months, I went from dosing b-ionic to dripping kalk 24/7 to running a calcium reactor.

But I've only added the reactor very recently, and it is more of a timesaver for me than an actual necessity (but it has the added benefit of keeping alk and Ca very stable). After adding the latest SPSs and the clam to my tank I started having to dose b-ionic again, in addition to dripping kalk (all the top-off water was kalk), and that started being a pain because in order to prevent large swings I would have to dose it daily.

So I'd say if you don't have a lot of SPSs you probably don't need a calcium reactor... a kalk reactor is also not a must, it's really just a timesaver as well because you can always mix your own kalk and drip/pump it with an auto-top-off or something similar without resorting to a kalk reactor.

I'll just echo the rest of the comments above that the most important thing is to start testing your params, namely alk and Ca.

Nuno

Steve, I have a 72 bow that has a mixture of corals similar to what you are describing. I have rock with a lot of small encrusted sps frags that are growing out from almost nothing off of the rocks (8-10 all together). In addition i have a couple of LPS and a bunch of softies.

I currently dose daily with b-ionic which is basically the same as the Kent A&B additive. I add 15ml of each per day and the system stays very balanced.

The best thing you can do at this point is to start testing and understand what your needs are. I was using a buffer for the alk before I had any corals, and I had to make a major adjustment to the ca and alk to get it into balance the first time. Since then it has been very stable. The testing showed me how out of whack the parameters were when I started. Once you find the level of dosing needed, you may find you don't need a reactor.

Whatever your decision on a reactor, or what type, the best thing you can do is start to test and get your system in balance. Once balanced you should see a marked increase in corraline algae growth as well.

HTH, Brian

Back