Which Reactor is Which?

I tested my Calcium yesterday, I'm at 400, my Alk was normal also. I did a little reading and found that the calcium level should ideally be around 450ppm. I began dripping some kalk last night and look forward to testing my water again tonight. Is this accurate, should my Calcium be at about 450ppm? I figure that once I get it to 450, I will monitor it over a couple of days and see how rapidly it declines.

Between 400 and 450 is a good level for calcium. So you're right on with that one.

Do you have an Alk test kit that gives you a number result in dKH or meq/L? Or does your test just give "low", "normal" and "high" results? You definitely want a kit that gives you an actual number for reefkeeping. The latter isn't much use for a reef tank.

Nate

My Alk test kit just give a 'low', 'normal' or 'high' reading, I will pick up a more accurate test kit today. What should my Alk be? Also, Does it make sense to bring my Calcium up to 450 with the Kalk and monitor it over a couple of days without dosing the Kalk to see the consumption by the tank?

You want your alk around 3.5-4.0 meq/L (I think that's about 9-11 dKH).

I think it's a good idea to not dose anything for a few days or a week, and monitor the Ca/Alk consumption.

Nate

Thanks a lot guys for your help. One final question, just I'm prepared. What do you generally use to control your Alk if it is either low or high?

I've used b-ionic (part 1) to raise alk if it's too low, but you can also use baking soda; if it's too high, you can just let it drop by itself... unless it's really high, in that case you may want to do a partial water change to help lower it to acceptable levels.

Nuno

If both ca and alk need raised, dripping kalk is a good way to do it in a low-consumption tank. Kalk supplements both Ca and Alk in a balanced ratio (the same ratio in which corals deplete Ca and Alk.

Nate

Back