Who has fragged lots of Zo's?

Piscevore

elsewhere
I've read a lot about it, but I wanted to know if anyone felt like being a superstar and giving a step by step to me. I've got a brandy new frag with some really cool zoo's and I think I would like to propagate the Zoo's. Should I leave well enough alone and put something next to them to -grow onto-? I don't have any hands on experience, and I'm not sure yet how much they're going to thrive in my tank.... Still...I'd love more, nevermind putting a few in someone else's tank means when my colony crashes there are still some left ;)

Attachments

• zoo.jpg
    zoo.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 319
Last edited:
Take a screwdriver & split the rock with the zoos attached to it. Then you can glue the smaller rocks w/ the zoos onto larger rocks for them to spread.

I usually let new zoo's settle in before I frag. So far I have just let them grow onto the rock, then I move the frag. Depending upon the rock, one frag we recd I cut the underside of the rock w/my wet saw. Then easily split it into 2 pieces. Very hard to frag a zoo from some rock surfaces, they do not scrape off very easily.
Also, zoo's can be "toxic" (if ingested or "juice gets in your eyes/mouth etc)and/or cause a reaction, some people are more prone to a reaction then others, and some zoo's give more of a kick then others

Yeah, let the zoos settle in and put some rubble around it. They will grow and spread onto the rubble.

both colonies you have grow rather quickly I wouldnt bother trying to actually frag them just do as stated and throw some rubble rock around them and they will spread soon enough also you may want to move the xenia away from them as that will most surely keep them closed up and prohibit growth

That's actually encrusting gorgonian on same frag(It does look like xenia). That is part of why I want to frag it. Its quite the crowded little piece!

I've read Anthony Calfo's zooanthid fragging portion of his book. Palyotoxic shock, mouth full of copper sensation etc etc
I found more than a little humor in his poor dirty towel management, but the best is when he inserted a Knife covered in "juice" between his teeth.... After reading THAT section, I figured I'd ask you guys if you even bothered.

Bust the rock up with a screwdriver. Stick it in & twist in the areas you want to seperate. Easy as cutting pie.

You can use tin snips to cut the rock. I have a separate pair. I usually move it to a separate container, cut the rock, then move the two pieces back to the main tank. Sometimes they "slime" when you cut them. If that happens I rinse them with tank water outside the tank, then put them back. Rinse the snips well in tap water and towel dry when you are done, no oil of course.

Back