Who's going to NERAC (Long Island, NY)

Moe,i am driving down with Scott and Casey,we are taking my truck and may have room for one more but i don't know the time of departure as yet,sometime tomorrow afternoon.I probably won't know when we are leaving until 5 mins before knowing Scott :D If Scott goes easy on the amount of beer he brings i don't see why we could'nt fit you in if times suit.
-Liam.

Cool.
If we can't carpool, we should atleast convoy. Maybe we can meet up someplace?
You guys taking the ferry across?
GImme a call on my cell: 617-201-0703

I'm about to leave too.
Looks like I'll be on the 6:00pm ferry from New London to Long Island.

I had a good time.
Bought myself a small portion of green cloves (not GSPs).

Scott Michael gave a good talk, I thought. I spoke with him about coming up to speak for our group some time in the future. We'll work on scheduling that.

Sat night was a big beer fest. The dinner they provided was very good. The huge reef tank at Atlantis was awesome. We watched their hippo tangs do the spawning dance as the artificial sun set on their reef.
ScavDog took a zillion pictures with Casey's camera, so I'm sure there will be pics coming. Joe Yaillulo gave everyone a behind the scenes tour. One thing that surprised me is that Joe Y now thinks DSBs are horrible. He's going with a shallow sand bed now.
Joe Burger (JBNY) agreed to come back up to give us another presentation. Different topic, though. He invited a bunch of us back to check out his tank, but we were rushed for time and hung over, so we wanted to get back home. There was some talk about doing a joint meeting w/ the Long Island folks - and having a big frag swap. I wasn't there for the conversation, ScavDog can fill in the details.

It was a good time for sure. I am still feeling it! Pics won't go up till tomorrow because Scavdog filled a 1gb card and I am also hung over
frown.gif

For those that missed it, this event is one you will want to catch next year. How many aquariums would let scott merrill walk on a 3ft wide scaffling above a 20,000 reef with a jack and coke in each hand!

The behind the scenes tour was awesome...to me it was the highlight of the trip because they let us go anywhere and everywhere (mistake?)

Not much more to be said but plan to attend next year.

Oh and the dinner was A+. Could ask for more in a catered buffet.

What a time!

Last edited:
It was a great trip! I'm acclimating right now. I got some nice frags from Jeremy, I scored a Montipora that will make even Bec jealous. The 20,000 gal reef is incredible, but I still thought the behind the scenes tour was the highlight. The stuff they're growing out to add to the display is awesome.
And I can't complain about winning an MRC calcium reactor in the raffle:)

Man what a trip! Yes I agree behind the doors was the best, that or the fact we came home with corals from the aquarium! The mated pair of saddle clowns they pulled out of their tanks and gave me are incredable! I cant wait to bring the wife and kids up this summer.

This is one awesome aquarium,well worth the trip but make sure you take the ferry,the drive down took 6 hours and the ride back when we took the ferry only took around three.I got some awesome corals and will post some pics.
The highlight of the trip for me though was Casey getting seasick and throwing up,(on the dock though before we even got on the boat :D )
-Liam.

Excellent conference. The presentations were very informative.
Scott Michaels did a excellent overview of his favorite fish. (All reef fish)
Joseph Yalullo presentation on the 20,000 gallon tank was excellent.
The tank tour, diner and watching the fish at night was great.
Daniel Knop, Anthony Calfo, Greg Schiemer and Joeseph Burger did
excellent presentations also. It was a good mixture of coral and fish
presentaions.

Some quotes
"You know you have a large tank when your moon light is a 400 watt metal halide"

" Bulb of the month club"

" Salt of the month club" (One interesting note was at one presentaion a salt
was praised for it good qualities and at the next
it was described as one of the worst salt out there)

After taking the Long Island expressway, I am not sure the big dig is that bad.
How can you close a major highway for 4 exits open it and close later for addition
2 exits. I may go next year. I will definitely take the ferry.

Had a good lunch at a taco place in Riverhead. There are no places I know of in
this area that are even close to that quality. Any in the Boston area?

Interesting notes

Refugiums were highly recommended.
Constant Carbon (Matrix and Hydrocarbon) usage was recommended at several presentations.
Ozone usage was recommended at several presentations.
Ferric oxide phosphate removers recommended.
Layering carbon above phosban in media chamber
Purigen usage
Special Blend for cyno control

After all the discussion on carbon and phosphate removers usage, I won a
MRC Fluidized Media Chamber in the raffle.

Back