Why Are Encrusting Bases Important?

dz6t

Acro Garden, BRS Sponsor
BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
I am more interested in the base than the branches.

Last edited by a moderator:
What I was asking is if these coral came with encrusting base. I am more interested in the base than the branches.
The acros colonies come with encrusting base, but i cut all off and gule the colonies on my live rock. All the bad bug and stuff live on it based, so all the based are siting out side drying.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those encrusting bases are the most valuable parts for mari-culture coral.

I think it is analogist to transplanting a tree with its full root system vs. a bare root sappling.....

What they are trying to say is having a specimen that is encrusting generally means the coral is very happy and health. It is laying down its foundation essentially.

^100% encrusting base means a happy healthy Acro...just like a tree...as Corals and plants like trees are VERY closely related, as so are we humans....
If it is encrusted I never remove the base, any pests can be treated and removed, and if they are from a good trustworthy source, there should be no need to remove the bases...if encrusted. if not encrusted then I would remove from the base

also, I know Dong is trying to see if the maricultured pieces are fresh frags or actually maricultured.

Thank you very much. So now we can discuss this topic in the right place.
1. To make it short, for Mariculture corals, the encrusting base and new tips are new growth. Which also means it lives through all the man-handle and still grow.

2. A encrusting base grow faster than branches.

So if someone chop up a mariculture coral for sale, I want to buy the bases instead of the tips. The middle branches are from the original wild colony and I won't want that.

back when I had sps for frags I would put a pile of hlue about 1/4" tall let it dry then glued my frags to that. most people are worried about bugs so they will cut the frag from the plug.
this way you would just cut the glue so you dont lose the new growth, same reason some company's would put sps frags on acrylic rod

I would also throw away the base if I get these mariculture or even if I get it from another member. You can dip and pulverize the bugs through dipping but it will not even touch the eggs. The base is where most of the eggs are. For this reason, I also don't put any frag on a plug into my tank regardless of where and who I get it from. Always cut away the plug off the frag and dip them before going into my tank. If I can't get a fresh cut SPS to encrust in my tank, the tank is not ready for SPS and I would need to work on it.

Last edited:
I am on there one who always cuts off the base. Corals will encrust again. Unwanted pests can wipe out a tank.

If I can't get the frag off the plug without cutting the base, I cut the bottom off the plug and then cover anything left with epoxy. A frag is much more likely to survive if it has an encrusted base. Right now my tank is full of frags. If the frag is growing at the base, all is well. If it's not it probably isn't going to last very long.

its funny, I can tell who dosnt have a tyree red dragon acro.... red dragon you cant dip! 99% of the time it will die from it.

I have also found frags grow quicker when you cut them..

its funny, I can tell who dosnt have a tyree red dragon acro.... red dragon you cant dip! 99% of the time it will die from it.

I have also found frags grow quicker when you cut them..

its funny, I can tell who dosnt have a tyree red dragon acro.... red dragon you cant dip! 99% of the time it will die from it.QUOTE]

that is funny...as I lost 3 that I dipped recently, and just threw one in my tank without dip, and that was the only one that lived....

Back