Why is everyone in Boston getting out of the hobby?

There's people who are moving... Spring is a good time to move. I know that this is the case with some of the folks you are inquiring about...

D

In another thread on RC Ron said he was downsizing to a 20 or something like that, so not getting completely out of the hobby, FWIW.

If you look at how many people are in the Boston Reefers vs the few that are downsizing\getting out I think you will see it is a very small percentage. This is not a cheap hobby and there are many things that can go wrong. Having moved my tank twice, I can completely understand someone selling all their livestock and starting over when they get to their new destination. Carting water, fish, sand, corals, tank, stand, and equip is a major pain in the butt, on top of the major pain in the butt that moving already is.

Jeff

Moving is a pain, and is usually a time to downsize, upsize (for me), or with the cost of a new house, larger Apt, getting married etc the time to get out.
Some people get into the hobby wearing rose colored glasses, I know I did. 2.5 years with a 29g was a snap!! Who knew the cost of a 60g or 55g or a 125g. Tank crashes, fish deaths are another reason to decide to get out.
It's a tough hobby.....

It wasn't soo tough for me...until I joined BRS... yeah...sure.. the additives, corals, fish, cost me some money...but NOW.. I spend more in beer with you guys than I do on my reef ;)

Like others have said, there is no one single driving force (except maybe money
frown.gif
) that has some long timers leaving the hobby. I myself have been contemplating selling off my 45g that I just started up a year ago, just due to the fact that my career has me extremely busy for the last 5 months. And if I were moving a decent distance I know for sure I would sell off both tanks and start new once settled.
Life just has a way of kicking ya in the (fill in expletive here) some times.

I'll be moving this summer. due to some family situations we will be moving back to Maine. (anyone looking for a house in NH?) I have just started to think about how to move everything and it will be a daunting task that is for sure. But I will never be without a reef tank again. I can't imagine it. When I get the farm set up I'll be sure to send some colonies down for the annual auction.

Funny, I haven't read all the posts, but this seems to be a ridiculous question. Every LFS guy I talk to (other than Living Seas) tells me business has never been better, posting record days of sales, etc., etc. One I spoke to last week mentioned how many huge tanks they were selling, like they had never seen before. And in the past 3 years I can think of 4 different shops within an hour drive of me opening. IRA and Living Seas being the only ones closing, and I know IRA was not do to lack of business. People come and go in the hobby for all types of reasons, some move to Japan, have babies, etc. At most BRS meeting we have 5-15 new people.

i agree. and since i'm not moving to japan or having babies you guys will have to put up with me for a long time :D

i agree. and since i'm not moving to japan or having babies you guys will have to put up with me for a long time

I'm interpreting that to mean that Armando is going to run for a BRS BOD position next year :D

I agree the established reefers are spending much less money (exception of electricity) that's what's being spent by the newbies. Once you develop the means to propagate you can find connections to trade and save with knowledge through this site. I would say my first 3 months I spent $3000, the last 12 I've spent $400, mostly on food and basics. The savings happened when I found the reef central site and not from my reading learning period. The attraction to this hobby has to be the challenge. My tank consists of mainly mid level lighting inhabitants. I've shown my tank to my friends and they were immediately on board on doing one also. That is until they found out the complexity behind it. Most people do not want to invest that much of a time/learning investment on eye candy that also requires long-term maintenance. You have to enjoy the learning and up keep experience and not consider it a choir. Even at the established level it's still time consuming to the point of a newborn baby. This online community is a support group that backs one another in their conquests and bad times and keeps it interesting. I?m still learning from you guys. Without it I would have said to Hell with this money pit a long time ago, I'm going back to Goldfish. :) For every teardown there is a buyer. IMO think there are more new starts than people getting out. If one is getting out it?s due to hardships and they?ll be back. I?m sooo obsessed it?s not funny anymore.

I know more people getting INTO the hobby then out. Just look on the boards, see all the people and the posts. Gets bigger and bigger all the time!

>I know more people getting INTO the hobby then out<

There must be enough people in the hobby to drive the cost of some of the corals at that auction through the ROOF!!

Greg Hiller said:
There must be enough people in the hobby to drive the cost of some of the corals at that auction through the ROOF!!

I dunno Greg... In the short time I've been with BRS, I've quickly figured out that just about everybody who attends the acutions WANTS to pay more than the market value for the corals, fish etc. at the auctions. I've seen the same people balk at the prices at a retail store that were a "little high".

It's a fun way to give back to BRS and have something to show for it. I know of one person who paid "through the roof" auction price for a coral only to sell it for less.

It's a great group of obsessive compulsives.. I enjoy BRS.

D

Back