Why is my SPS dying....HELP!

panayiote73

Non-member
Woke up this morning to this horrible sight. I don't know why it's bleaching like that. I just got home and it's spread to over 50% of the frag. Nothing else seems to be effected, I have atleast a dozen other kinds of coral in tank. If anything my green tree leather looks pale but I'm not sure. What are the main suspects?

Thank you for your help in advance.

SPS.JPG

Temp is 79.8, salinity is 1.021. That's pretty much what it always is. Im going to test alkalinity now. Its usually ~13 in my tank. I'll confirm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How long has this coral been in your tank? Like Frank said 1.021 is low. I keep my salinity at 1.026.

cut off the good parts of the coral away from the bleached tissue and glue to another rock or plug..........................else it will or may keep spreading

I don't think anything is close enough to sting.
Alk IS low, 6 ~100ppm. I'll increase salinity a little tonight. Should I add buffer too?

Acro has been in tank atleast 4-6 months. It's grown a lot.
If you could see it now its almost all white. I don't think it's salvageable :(. I have 7 other sps in the tank. I also have a bunch of lps, polyps, mushrooms, leathers, you name it it here.
It would be heartbreaking to see anything else go like this!

SLOWLY bring your salinity and alkalinity up to where it should be or you risk your other frags. Take a few days to do it. Monitor your alk closely for the next several days as it can drift or bounce when you are making adjustments. When you think it's stable check it weekly.

If your alk has shifted from 13 to 6, that could kill just about any sps depending on how quickly it dropped. You need to get that stable.

i had a alk swing but mine went up to 19.5 and lost 99% of my sps clams some softys some sps no fish loss. my sps looked just like that at first and lost most of them but the ones i fraged and got into a diff tank till my alk was good i still have

I have plenty more of that brown digi, I have a few frags I made this weekend when I broke a piece off doing the upgrade, so once things stabilize they are all yours!

Posting on the go!

Back