Why not be a BRS PAID member?

No, thank you and the rest of the forum for helping me along the way. I just think the above comments where more exclusionary and counter productive to growing a club.

I agree, which is one of the main reasons I don't join. There isn't much love on this forum, only if you personally know people

I agree, which is one of the main reasons I don't join. There isn't much love on this forum, only if you personally know people

Everyone I have meet in person has been great and even offered that I could contact the directly if I need help but a few of my threads have fallen on deaf ears.

Marc Levenson and I were talking about membership. Dallas has over 600 paid members, but sees the same 30 or 40 people at meetings. They've tried all kinds of things to get people to attend meetings. No dice. They now accept that the 600 finance excellent speakers and events for the 40 regulars.

i feel nothen but love from the club and i dont know mnay people but at the end of the day if u love ur club and ur hobbie y not support the club they give us so much knowledge on the form to browse threw ill always show support even if i dont have a tank its only 20 bucks go without coffee for the week and ur membership is paid and if u dont know people from the club hit up a meeting worth it all day great people and over all good time =)

When I first got on the forum I was very active and posted a lot of questions and in response I got people calling me a "newb"and a lot of opposition, rather than people giving good advice even if my questions were basic.

It's too bad that you had some negative responses and such. I know you are not the only one who has and or does feel that way.

I think of the BRS as generally a pretty friendly and helpful bunch (especially for anything on an internet forum), but the group is the sum of it's parts so it's pretty hard to prevent the occasional sour grapes posts that do happen. I try not to be "that guy", but I still probably have stepped on the occasional new members toes one way or another unintentionally.

It's too bad that you had some negative responses and such. I know you are not the only one who has and or does feel that way.

I think of the BRS as generally a pretty friendly and helpful bunch (especially for anything on an internet forum), but the group is the sum of it's parts so it's pretty hard to prevent the occasional sour grapes posts that do happen. I try not to be "that guy", but I still probably have stepped on the occasional new members toes one way or another unintentionally.

I personally just like feed back negative or positive. Most of the i srart threads to start a discussion and get others opinion for some reason I think people hold them back cause some of the threads get way more views without any comments.

I definitely don't judge the forum on one post or thread or member.

I belong to another local forum for a different hobby. It is larger then this one and everything from the hobby to politics and current events are discussed. Over there if you don't have thick skin and can take criticism cause you newb is not the worst thing you can be called but people aren't afraid to through there opinion out there and possibly get flamed

Last edited:
Mbian your missing my point entirely. It's not an issue of having thick skin because I could careless honestly lol, my point is that this forum is suppose to be about knowledge and unfortunately I didn't get that a lot when I got on here. Did you get all that now?

I agree, feedback is feedback and it should be heard. I didn't mean to imply otherwise.

I think the views vs posts can throw out some very misleading info. There are all sorts of google bots and whatnot scanning everything all the time so a thread can show thousands of views when it's actually only gotten a few or even none. Speaking for myself, if I view a thread and don't post it's generally just because I don't have anything to add.

I fully understand where you are coming from... I was a recipient of that as well when I first came on board, hence why I choose to be part of the solution and not the problem.

Nobody deserves that kind of treatment. There are plenty of ways to get your point across without having to be verbally abusive to someone.

When I first got on the forum I was very active and posted a lot of questions and in response I got people calling me a "newb"and a lot of opposition, rather than people giving good advice even if my questions were basic.

Mbian your missing my point entirely. It's not an issue of having thick skin because I could careless honestly lol, my point is that this forum is suppose to be about knowledge and unfortunately I didn't get that a lot when I got on here. Did you get all that now?

Well in your own words it made you post less and be less active so obviously it did bother you. We maybe come here for different reasons. I think books are for knowledge and forums are for opinion mixed with sometimes miss guided experience.

I agree that feedback is feedback but when you guys are trying to promote your club and trying to get paid members with stating how friendly and knowledgeable people are and the club moderators are making comments like feedback is feedback... no wonder you can't get everyone on board

I don't see where I posted that I was less active because of negative feedback look! Am I missing something here? I've still been active but in different ways, i've learned a lot of things since then and I try to share my experience with my build thread. Also I buy corals from other members

That is how I took your comment. Maybe I misunderstood what you were meaning.

This is getting confusing, I think the order of the posts is confusing what has been said.

Edit adding;
I had posted "I agree, feedback is feedback and it should be heard. I didn't mean to imply otherwise." In response to Mbian's post where he talked about being open to feedback.

Coraljunkie- I was only following the conversation and saying that there is value in hearing your feedback that the club didn't seem all that helpful in the past.

Last edited by a moderator:
I fully understand where you are coming from... I was a recipient of that as well when I first came on board, hence why I choose to be part of the solution and not the problem.

Nobody deserves that kind of treatment. There are plenty of ways to get your point across without having to be verbally abusive to someone.

it's not about verbally abusive it's about giving advice rather than just saying something isn't right. For example I say I use led lighting and someone says leds suck.... well that's fine and dandy but elaborate why they suck and what would be better

it's not about verbally abusive it's about giving advice rather than just saying something isn't right. For example I say I use led lighting and someone says leds suck.... well that's fine and dandy but elaborate why they suck and what would be better

Agreed that's not constructive at all

by no means am I hating on the club, ive met some great people also and im gonna try to make the next meeting in my area so I can meet more of you

No, thank you and the rest of the forum for helping me along the way. I just think the above comments where more exclusionary and counter productive to growing a club.

I think the effort is a great thing and I applaud the effort. But at a certain point if the people outside that do not want to participate it is best to let them not do so.

But if you want to take it as a personal assault it wasn't and there is nothing I can do about that. My post wasn't a direct thought on any one post here.

Fact is if you look at my track record I have and do participate in a meaningful manner on a continued basis. I spend a few hours just about every day reading/posting and trying to help people learn and work through their problems. My 8 years of volunteering for the club have past, from running the photocontest to president to admin of the forum. But non of what others have posted stop me from being an active member and moving the club forward. And if I got upset over every time I someone made I post I didn't like or agree with. well......... I would have left in 2006.

There is far more positive than negative and that is my point. if the people sign up as they want to be part. then you get a stronger base of core members.

I think in the end if you sat and talked with me in person you would find we are more on the same line of thought than you think.

Last edited:
Back