wiring a fan

B.rian

i would rather be diving
perhaps someone here can give me a hand. i am trying to wire a fan with a switch, but i can't figure out a few questions. i stopped by radioshack and one of the people there helped me get a few items. i have the power supply cord, a switch, and connector clips. below are a few pictures of everything. my plan is to have the connection order go: fan, wire, on/off switch, wire, power supply cord. i have the connector clips on the fan (picture 1). i need to connect the wire to the clips. do i just strip the cord a little bit, insert the wire part into the connector clips, and tape the cord and connector clips (using electrical tape)? my next question is about connecting the power supply cord to the on/off switch. i was told that i solder the power supply cord to the on off switch's connectors (picture 2). does it matter which side of the wire, hot (black) or neutral (white), gets soldered to which connector? am i supposed to attach the power cord before soldering?

any and all help will be appreciated. i am unfamiliar with electrical wiring, so i would like to get this right the first time. thanks.!

Attachments

• fan with connectors attached.JPG
    fan with connectors attached.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 233
  • power supply cord and on-off switch.JPG
    power supply cord and on-off switch.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 210
last 2 pictures of everything

Attachments

• everything.JPG
    everything.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 222
  • connectors.JPG
    connectors.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 219
Those connectors need to be crimped on with a crimping tool. Give me 5 minutes and I can upload a wiring diagram.

This is how you want it wired. If it is a DC fan, just be sure your polarity is correct.

Attachments

• everything.JPG
    everything.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 215
You only attach the hot wire to the switch posts. Hot goes from wall plug, to switch post (either one), then from other switch post hot continues to fan. (doesn't matter which post if it's an AC fan).

The neutral wire goes from wall plug straight to fan post.

I wouldn't bother soldering anything. Just use the crimp connectors you have, and tape them very well. That switch should really go in a box of some sort, so that the hot posts are protected, and so that the wires can be secured inside so that any strain isn't transfered to the connections, pulling them off.

Tape or heat shrink the connections at the fan well, and wire-tie the wires to the body of the fan, so any strain on the wires isn't transfered to the wire connections.

thank you! that will definitely help. i am going to try it out tomorrow.

is a crimp tool required to do this? is there any other means to crimp the connector?

i also just checked the fan and it runs on AC. I have plans to build an acrylic box to house the switch, i just need to find some weldon.

crimp with a pair of pliers...

I wouldn't crimp and AC connection with pliers. Either get the tool or solder all your connections. You can never get crimps to crimp correctly with pliers and between a not so tight connection and salt, it can cause resistance that could potentially start a fire. I would personally solder all the connections anyway.

I'm with steve. Pliers really don't crimp. They just crush, and it's easy to pull out the wire. Always yank on the crimped connection after making it. If you can pull it out by hand, toss the terminal, strip more wire, and try again.

that is good to know. i was hesitant about using a leatherman as a crimp tool. looks like i will be soldering the wires.

Keep in mind, that I believe there are specific terminals for soldering. The plastic-sheathed metal terminals are for crimping. Steve can probably give the definitive answer on this, but my recollection from boat work is that the connectors you've shown above are not for soldering.

If you haven't soldered before, I'd just get a $10 crimping tool. Actually many wire strippers already have a crimper on the end. It's the two or three curved teeth at the end of the pliers, with red, yellow, and blue dots next to them, or the numbers 8-12, 14-18, or similar next to the teeth. (indicates the color/size of the terminals you can crimp in each opening.

Back