Would that create any issues?

charbel1011

BRS Member
Would that rigid tubing provided by red sea creates any tension or purges for the main siphon? Thats my setup right now. Somebody mentioned that the rigid tubing would make my main siphon purges and created bubbles and tension, and i have to hard plumb it. Is that true is hard plumbing needed here? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_2724.jpeg
    IMG_2724.jpeg
    242 KB · Views: 57
Rigid and hard are the same things when comes to pipe. Are you referring to the FLEX hose going from your gate valve to the roller?

I run my return with the same style flex hose from Eshopps. No issues in 4 years and flex hose should allow for any misalignment so not sure what you mean by "Tension".... actually this will apply no stress to the rigid pipes and is a great thing when it comes time to yank your roller for cleaning or maintenance. While its true the serrations or ribs on flex hose can trap some bubbles, it just takes a little longer to purge the bubbles and will in no way I can think of be an issue. I'm moving approximately 1200 GPH silently through 3' of flex hose. Again, I've been running my roller for 4 years. Anyone saying you need to replace that hose with rigid is just running their mouth.....lol

I rigid plumbed my first tanks because it was thought to be the best way, but after several builds I asked myself why and can't find a good reason. I'll go one step further and say you actually need MORE flexible hose on your setup, specifically I'd get some for both connections to your UV pump. You have the right idea with your return pump, but your UV pump is likely to transmit vibration and/or noise to the tank. It also looks like its going to be a pain to pull that UV pump for cleaning or repair. In this case I'd use silicone tubing in the diameter your UV needs to flow at (I assume 3/4" if targeting Ick).

Will you be able to change your UV bulb without too much trouble? They only last a year but I find the tubes can get a coating of crap and reduce efficiency if the quartz isn't clean. I had to clean my quartz often until the tank matured and became stable.

My first tanks looked great but were a pain to work on due to rigid plumbing, I love the ease of flexible tubing for maintenance, something not often thought of in the excitement of assembling a new system.

Get that tank wet!....

I run my return with the same style flex hose from Eshopps. No issues in 4 years and flex hose should allow for any misalignment so not sure what you mean by "Tension".... actually this will apply no stress to the rigid pipes and is a great thing when it comes time to yank your roller for cleaning or maintenance. While its true the serrations or ribs on flex hose can trap some bubbles, it just takes a little longer to purge the bubbles and will in no way I can think of be an issue. I'm moving approximately 1200 GPH silently through 3' of flex hose. Again, I've been running my roller for 4 years. Anyone saying you need to replace that hose with rigid is just running their mouth.....lol

I rigid plumbed my first tanks because it was thought to be the best way, but after several builds I asked myself why and can't find a good reason. I'll go one step further and say you actually need MORE flexible hose on your setup, specifically I'd get some for both connections to your UV pump. You have the right idea with your return pump, but your UV pump is likely to transmit vibration and/or noise to the tank. It also looks like its going to be a pain to pull that UV pump for cleaning or repair. In this case I'd use silicone tubing in the diameter your UV needs to flow at (I assume 3/4" if targeting Ick).

Will you be able to change your UV bulb without too much trouble? They only last a year but I find the tubes can get a coating of crap and reduce efficiency if the quartz isn't clean. I had to clean my quartz often until the tank matured and became stable.

My first tanks looked great but were a pain to work on due to rigid plumbing, I love the ease of flexible tubing for maintenance, something not often thought of in the excitement of assembling a new system.

Get that tank wet!....
That pump, i can take out easily. All i need is to remove the union things at the top unscrew them and the plumbing is off. Everything on my uv setup can be taken apart. And yes i can access the back no problem for the UV to change the bulb

I see the unions and have done it that way myself. Using silicone tubing connections keeps my hands out the water which is a good thing and reduces any vibes or noise to the display tank which I hope is appreciated by the residents.....lol

I see the unions and have done it that way myself. Using silicone tubing connections keeps my hands out the water which is a good thing and reduces any vibes or noise to the display tank which I hope is appreciated by the residents.....lol
My tank is in the basement and nobody sleeps there lol. But i do appreciate the feedback. I sent this video to my friend joe. I added too much glue and primer that they got inside my pump. Idk how negatively this would affect my system. Its my first time using primer and glue and i went overboard. And i do kinda regret it. Would that affect anything having primer inside the pump?

Ouch...that's a bummer. Did any primer or glue get on the impeller? If not you're probably ok.
My earlier post mentioned "residents" I meant the creatures in the tank. I can't imagine vibration or noise doing anything good to fish or corals.

Ouch...that's a bummer. Did any primer or glue get on the impeller? If not you're probably ok.
My earlier post mentioned "residents" I meant the creatures in the tank. I can't imagine vibration or noise doing anything good to fish or corals.
True. Im just concerned that the smell of prime still there after a week? Is that a concern?

Cooper so im. Going to have 100% vibration to my tank with my setup? U got me worried man heres a video explainig it. i really do not want to switch to soft tubing if i dont have to man

I didn't realize your pipes to the display tank were "Over the rim" types. This setup won't transmit vibes or noise because it's not a rigid connection to the tank. If your plumbing went through bulkheads it would be the scenario that I spoke of. I don't see anything wrong with your setup and think you should get it wet!

The only thing I'll point out is a situation I hope you never experience but should think about. If your primary return pump fails, no exchange between the sump and display happens. If it's winter time and your heaters are in the sump they're now useless to the display. If the inlet to your UV pump was in the sump, you'd still have 350gph making it to the display for heat and filtering. Your also going to have a nasty accumulation of feeding detritus in your UV if it's on during feeding cycles. This problem isn't in the equation if the UV gets its supply just after your roller.

Having said that, I still think you should fill that tank and get your cycle on. One of the best parts of this hobby is tinkering and tweaking so change it later or don't!......

Get it wet!

Back