WOW is all i have to say about T.I. tonight

while I've only been there a few times, last time I went in there I was looking around with my Fiance & showing him a few tanks & asking which type he liked best when we finally upgrade. Boy the counter lady practicly jumped over the counter to ask if she could help us with something.

Does she get a commission off big sales? thats the quickest I've ever been helped in a LFS ever lol.

Well i must say, i have contacted the owner and he has apologized for it (i know we did get there a little late which was around 8:30 or so) and he said he will make good on the discount. Dan has also said he will make good on the discount. I do appreciate that T.I. is trying to make right of the problem.

I have mixed feelings about TI, but all in all, I think they're a very valuable LFS. Livestock selection just can't be beat there. I've never had too much of a problem getting help in the fishroom. Sometimes you have to be a little aggressive to get their attention, but I have no beef with any of the people in the fish room.

The other people in the store, such as the help up front, don't bother me all that much anymore. They're there to ring up my order, and that's what they do. But on the other hand, I don't push my BRS discount on most of the LFS's anyway, unless it's a big ticket item, so I suppose I'm also avoiding confrontation.

Oh, and Jov, my wife and I had a similar experience while checking out some tanks :)

Last edited:
Max, I worked in retail for a while. You're open until your last customer leaves, whether or not you want to go home.

The back half of TI is great, and i've had nothing but good dealings with them. THe front half just makes me want to bang my head on something.

yes, thats the way I feel also, but lately even walmart is getting pushy to get people out.

We don't go to Tropic Isle much because it's quite out of the way for us. We have gone a few times, however, and had great luck with the livestock we purchased from there. The first couple of times we went, JD (tall nose ring guy) helped us out and was very attentive and friendly (piercings don't bother me in the least, I only care that I'm treated well, I happen to have a nose stud myself) He came over to us and asked if we needed help both times, and seemed very knowledgable and honest. Dan also helped us out a couple of times and was just as friendly.:)

The register experience, well, it's already been said many times.:rolleyes: I have to say though, the very last time we were there, there was a little smile (the red headed girl). I think David and I almost passed out, as that was the first smile or even eye contact I think we've gotten at that register. Maybe David was lookin' extra cute or something that day.:D Seriously though, David and I are both "please" and "thank you" people, and when you say "thank you" to someone or "Hi" and get nothing, not even a glance in your direction, it is a bit frustrating. Even if you're not having a great day at work, it's very easy to quickly greet or thank someone.

It was kind of funny one time though, David and I actually stood at the register briefly because we didn't know we were done. There was no "thank you" or "here's your receipt", nothing. We both kind of snapped out of it and chuckled because we hadn't even realized the transaction was complete. We were just standing there! There was no closure! :D

-Gina

As far as the way you were spoken to when the place was closing, that's a completely unacceptable way to speak to customers. I'm sure we've all been at work one time or another held up by a customer or client, and we might even be thinking what she said to you, but you never say that to someone. It's appalling. There could have been a friendly reminder of the closing time, maybe an announcement of some sort, something professional and tactful.

(I hope I didn't break any vendor experience rules, I haven't posted in this forum much. If I did, I apologize and please feel free to delete anything you need to.)

Last edited:
Just gotta say in regards to this thread's original point that closing time is closing time. I worked there for over two years and when the day starts at 10:30 am and you spend the day doing the workload of 2 people with no appreciation at the end of the day from the owner and 9:00 comes around you just want to be done! Yes ofcourse courtesy with your customers is of the utmost importance, but the customer should be courteous as well and respect the store hours and the employee that wants to get home to their family. There were many days when I just wanted to go home to my wife and kids and that one couple was wandering around the shop that just couldn't make up their mind. Trust me, I understand better than most the problems over there, but it has to go both ways.

I just want to chime in on my visit to TI today. For a LFS their customer service is awful. Some examples: First off, they had some moorish idols priced at $70 each. One of the fish was a good 2-3" smaller than the other six, but was the only one I saw even remotely interested in grazing. So knowing that moorish idols are not the easiest fish to keep, I inquired about the small one and if due to size differential if there was a lower price on that one. I was told no due to the fact that they all were invoiced the same price. Ok fine lost sale #1, I am not stupid and I know that even if he took off $10, the store would still be making a nice profit. Now the second example, they had a male paddlefin wrasse in one of the 300g tanks for $60, and a pair in one of the side tanks for $70. The male in the pair was not looking too hot, so I inquired about taking the male from the 300g and the female from the side tank. Well, after a nice attempt to talk me out of it by saying the male and female won't get along (nice try they were not a mated pair, and I would be introducing them at the same time) the employee finally gave in. Now here comes the rip-off. The male in the side tank was priced at $55 and the pair was $70 (as I mentioned earlier). The employee stated that I could not get the female from the side and the male from the 300g for $70, but rather $90. I said the difference between the two males was $5 ($60 compared to $55), so the price should be no more than $75 for the two tank male/female. He would not do the $75 price, so at this point my 3 year old was getting ansy and I was now getting pissed at the lack of interest of the store to negotiate a sale, so I left. Lost sale #2. I was not about to ask for the higher ups at the store as it should not be necessary. Tropic Isle has to get off their high horse and treat customers better than what I got today. Believe me, I will definitely not take the 1 hr drive to Framingham to go there for a very long time.

If in reading this you think I am cheap then the line forms at the left. This hobby is way too expensive to try not to save a few dollars here and there. I never get the once over when I visit the 4 stores in Southern NH.

First off, Saturday & Sunday are a relative insane asylum at TI. It's difficult to spend any "quality" time with any customer on either of these days. If you want pesronalized attention, come in during the week.Too many people looking to be waited on, too few employees on the weekends. Simple fact !! If you wanted to see a fish eat.... ask!!! The Moorish Idols are ALL eating pelleted food as well as several types of frozen foods. The big paddlefin in the 300 had already killed a female last week. Would you like more details? As for the price negotion, I wasn't in on it so I can't speak up on it either way. As the guy who buys the fish for the salt dept. I DO know the prices and what I can & can't do. Only myself & the owner have the ability to override the listed price. So it IS necessary to go to the higher ups. I also know the overhead and everything else there is to know about the finances of running THIS store. You can't honestly compare TI with any other LFS or any other business for that matter without knowing the facts. Ask for Dan if you ever decide to return to TI. We have been 3 full time people short for over a month now and we are all burnt out and far from being at peak efficiancy. Not looking for sympathy, just stating facts. Myself and one other guy pulled a 17 hour straight shift last week due to a 45 box shipments flight being bumped. Then I came in later that morning (my day off !!) for 3 hours to price everything !! I still haven't recovered. We had over 20 people waiting at the door Sat. morning and at least 15 people waiting Sunday morning. We're far from perfect but we are trying to better ourselves. All I can ask for is patience from the customers end.

IME the only discount at TI is the online cupons, print them out and do your homework, but don't expect to haggle.

Also, weekends really are a madhouse in there, TI has it's ups and downs but don't expect much for "ups" on the weekend. At least some of the employee's (IME/IMO) do their best, but in many ways their hands seem to be tied.

I've removed a number of posts which were just commenting on previous member experiences, or discussing the general principles of retail businesses. (I actually made an error in not removing the first posts that got this whole thing started yesterday - I guess I got distracted).

Anyways, please restrict your posts in this forum to first hand experiences about the store. Don't comment on whether or not you think someone elses experiences or opinions of the store are valid. Just share your OWN experiences, and let other people speak for themselves.

Thank, Nate

I have been going to TI from the start. Dan ALWAYS takes his time and tells me like it is. There has been times that I wanted to purchase something and he has tol me "no, it does not look to good". That is an honest employee. Any question I have I will either call Dan or take the ride into the store. As he has explained to me about prices, other LFS's buy bulk which is cheaper and you can sell for less,but they do not buy bulk so of corse the prices vary. There are certain chain stores that people refuse to buy fish from and we all know this store is much cheaper. How long does that fish last for?? Then you go out and replace the dead fish and it ends up costing you the same amount you should have spent. I am a cheap person but by my own mistakes I have learned about this hobby,"you get what you pay for". In my eyes Dan is one of the most knowlegable person I have spoke to in his hobby. During the week if you have problems or questions go to the store and you will get great service by Dan with no rush! As for the other staff, I just walk by and treat them the same way they treat me. I did relize whe when u go i n there with an attitude you are going to get attitude. Now when I go in I always say, "Hello, How are you", now when I go in they say it to me first. My final thoughts on TI is, SEE DAN!!

Again, i'm a regular visitor of TI, and everything with the exception of 1 fish has come from TI. Went this weekend and bought a crap load of stuff, walked out happy.

Dan has never been anything less than excellent EVERY time i went in there. He is extremely knowledgeable and will take the time to help (and boy have my gf and i needed help quite a bit) and give his advise on everything.

I don't expect to have the red carpet rolled out for me when ever I enter a LFS, and I never flash my BRS card. I've never had a problem with TI, and the staff has been very helpful when I asked for help. I think having the best and largest livestock selection in Eastern Mass. has put a bigger target on their backs....

IMO, the only purpose of this forum is to bash TI...I'm actually surprised that they honor any BRS cards or discounts...an honestly am embarrassed to affiliate myself with the BRS because of this forum. This forum should be flushed and started clean.

Looking forward to the next livestock shipment next week!

-JB

I went to TI and it was way better than people make it out to be. Prices on dry goods were comparable to what you would pay closer to Boston. (It's been said before but don't most people buy dry goods from internet retailers anyway?) They had several interesting high-end products and a light bulb I had been unable to find anywhere else. Everything seemed fairly nice and the staff was attentive without being annoying. The majority of the fish looked healthy. Although the smaller cubes made me feel badly for the fish, similar systems are used in research institutions (who have very strict animal welfare guidelines) which makes sense considering the owner is an expert on zebrafish (a common research animal). My girlfriend said that the store had significantly improved since her first visit a year ago. Keep up the good work.

Recent visit...

I was there a few days ago, I'm not sure who I dealt with but the guy who got me my fish was one of the most helpful people I have ever met. I purchased 5 green chromis and this guy spent 10 minutes getting me the best fish in the tank, he probably caught a total of 30 and selected the best 5. I also got a c.b. butterfly (there are pics posted) and the fish is great and has adjusted very well to his new home. I know a few people who have had to return fish for various reasons but I've only had good experiences there.

These past few positive posts have highlighted some of the strengths of TI IMO. (And I agree, it's overdue, there is too much TI bashing in this fourm IMO)

If you go in on a weekday and are polite yourself, you will get help, and at least some employees will give you some good advice. (And if you go in on the weekend, they are usually WAY too busy to give you their best help) IME.

Again, IME, the employee's who are into saltwater/reefing and or have good experience behind them are good to talk to. Some may know nothing about reefing so don't expect them to. Go in when they are not super busy and the knowlegable people will find you. Go in on saturday afternoon and it's hit or miss at best IME.

Some of their dry goods are SERIOUSLY over priced (compared to some of the other reef focused LFS's, see the PM skimmers for an example.) but some other smaller things are not so bad. Whatever their markup, there have been countless times that I've dropped $ there because I needed something "NOW!" and they had it in stock. I don't mind at all paying an extra $1 on a bulkhead if I need it right away, I'm glad I can get it!

Every store has it's ups and downs.

Post edited to remove content not about the vendor in question here.

On the other hand..... at Tropic Isle..... if they are busy....or if it's a weekend.....or if they are short staffed........or it's a weekday....

you may not get asked if you need help

you may just sit there wanting a fish and not be able to get any help until closing forces them to deal with you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back