Xenia wilting away...

davidrupe

Non-member
Has anybody had this happen to them or know why it would happen.
My Xenia was looking great, doing fine, growing huge, then yesterday it looked aweful. Half of it was like rotting away. Now today, it is even worse.

Why is this happening?
Nothing in my tank has changed. Everything else is fine.
The only thing I can think of is that my chocolate chip munched on a piece of it on Monday or Tuesday but it looked fine.
Should I remove it from the tank?

Anybody got a frag of it they can send me for free to replace it, next time they flush it?

Thanks

David,
Really sorry to hear that. I have no idea why it would disintegrate like that. Sorry.

I noticed you live in Lowell. I live in Westford and you are welcome to come over and pick up some more Xenia.
-Karen

Chemical wars?? Cold chill?? Run some carbon. When was your last water change? Same thing happened to my brother...wasn't enough flow...had too many dead spots. His skimmer wasn't running right either so his nitrates shot up a bit. Are you dosing iodine?? Some say it helps...most dose too much..dunno..I never added it when I had xenia and kept it under pc with med high flow.

Karen, I may take you up on that....

Wrasse, I don't have enough corals for a chemical war...
Cold chill...temp hasn't varied more than .6 degrees in the past week.
Last change was last Sunday.
Tons and tons of flow, maybe too much for Xenia.
Don't dose anything.
Skimmer is working great.
Wonder if the CC Star poisoned the whole thing by eating a little piece...

David,
I've got a sh**load of 2 varieties as well as a few zoo's and 'shrooms you can have. I'm moving a mile east and will be breaking down my 90 in the next couple weeks.
Let me know if you are interested.
Oh yeah, I live in downtown Lowell

Last edited:
Marco that is awesome. Now I don't feel so bad mine has 'crashed'. :)
Armando, I read the link. Mine seems to have done the same thing. In a matter of 2 days the whole thing crashed. I wonder if the CC star, when it ate a small piece on Sunday, poisoned it somehow or let it get infected.
CC is gone now. :)
(chocolate chip star)

Should I scrape it off the rock or let it wither away hoping a small bit survives. A couple stalks are grey, but might pull through.

Marco, can I come by and check out your tank some time before you break it down?
I live right off of Chelmsford St.

My xenia wilted away after a tree coral released some toxins into the water. It looked horrible for about a month, but I left it alone and it's flourishing again. I would leave it alone for a couple of weeks and see what happens. I bet it will come back.

davidrupe said:
Has anybody had this happen to them or know why it would happen.
My Xenia was looking great, doing fine, growing huge, then yesterday it looked aweful. Half of it was like rotting away. Now today, it is even worse.

Why is this happening?
Nothing in my tank has changed. Everything else is fine.
The only thing I can think of is that my chocolate chip munched on a piece of it on Monday or Tuesday but it looked fine.
Should I remove it from the tank?

Anybody got a frag of it they can send me for free to replace it, next time they flush it?

Thanks

that same thing happened to me recently. my zoo's are doing great though. Id really like to know whats going on.

Thanks all... I am not sure it is going to survive though. I wil leave it for a short bit. It looks like it is falling apart now. Every so often I see my coral beauty go nip at a piece that is falling apart...
:(

My Xenia crashes every 4-6 months. I usually lose about 1/3- 1/2 of it before it stops and begins to regrow, "worse" than ever. Sometimes I wish it wouldn't come back... I'd let it go its course (removing the dead/dieing stalks) and let it re-grow. Even if you don't see it anymore, it will most likely come back. It is rather amazing actually.

If you do need more though, I am always trying to get rid of my pulsing Xenia...

Joe

Back