Yellow tang stopped eating

GobyWanKenobie

BRS Member
I have had this tang for a few years. There are no spots or signs of injury. Other than not eating, it looks healthy. Two weeks ago I introduced a small mandarin goby into the tank and last Saturday I added a few corals. All my parameters are the same as usual, and everything/everyone else looks good. I have tried nori w/garlic, and food soaked in selcon. Any ideas?

Were the mandarin and/or corals quarantined?

Dragonets are infamous for being asymptomatic carriers of fish diseases, and parasite tomonts (and fluke eggs) can hitchhike in on corals.

Were the mandarin and/or corals quarantined?

Dragonets are infamous for being asymptomatic carriers of fish diseases, and parasite tomonts (and fluke eggs) can hitchhike in on corals.
I used to QT everything, but I got tired of maintaining so many tanks. :( The corals were dipped in Bayer, and the mandarin was running out of pods so observed less than a week before going into the display. I thought mandarins were a safe bet. It's hard to qt something that requires a big tank of pods. I haven't added any new fish in years. This is a heartbreaker.

I used to QT everything, but I got tired of maintaining so many tanks. :( The corals were dipped in Bayer, and the mandarin was running out of pods so observed less than a week before going into the display. I thought mandarins were a safe bet. It's hard to qt something that requires a big tank of pods. I haven't added any new fish in years. This is a heartbreaker.
Mandarins tolerate this process well and it will get the fish in your DT in less than 2 weeks: https://humble.fish/community/index.php?threads/hybrid-ttm-to-treat-all-parasites.87/

I dose pods or try to entice them to eat fish eggs whilst going thru TTM.

After three days of not eating, he threw in the towel. Looks too perfect to be dead. No parasites, no marks, no blotches. no injuries of any kind, just no life. It's almost like it had a stroke and forgot how to forge for food. It just sat in a corner staring at a rock. This hobby stinks. :(

That sucks. I had a beautiful yellow tang jump ship years back. I thought it was a flat worm exit treatment i was doing. But who knows. It sucks even worse when you can't find the answers.

That sucks. I had a beautiful yellow tang jump ship years back. I thought it was a flat worm exit treatment i was doing. But who knows. It sucks even worse when you can't find the answers.
Thanks. I keep going through everything in my head, but it's not like it happened the next day after I did something. It's been 1 week for the corals and 2 for the mandarin. Plus, the other two fish in there are fine. Not only have I had it for years, but it's impossible to get a new one. The tank looks so empty. :(

Back