You Are History!!!!!

Ray

frrrrunkis
BRS Member
Time: 3:15 AM
Place: Back right corner of my tank
Fish: Yellow Tang

Well for some reason my closed loop pump made a god awful sound and woke me up. I went to the tank and clicked on the actinics and looked around and all was fine. I then noticed the yellow tang swimming in the back corner of the tank bumping into everything so I quckly grabbed my net and scooped him up! He has picked at my clams for the last time! And to think I was just telling Brendon at skiptons today I wanted to harpoon him :)

Comming Soon: Yellow Tang For Sale

Thanks for reading I am going back to bed :cool:

I won't need to dig out that harpoon for you anymore then :D
What a stroke of luck :)

You were telling me yesterday you wanted to harpoon him too. Now for the Anthias....

That means I can pick it up this weekend? I mean the yellow tang

some do some dont, but this tang picked at the mantle. I would have still opted for the harpoon!

In most cases they are usually ok. But, we must remember that Tangs are Herbivores, and feed by grazing on algae. If there is not a lot of algae present, they can definitely find it on/in a clams mantle. I had a purple tang in a tank at Skiptons a few years back, he started to nip on the Clams a bit, so I had to snag him out. Maybe the Zebrasoma group are more prone.
Does anyone have any experience with other Tang species and Clams?

-B-

I had yellow and purple tang in my 90 with upto 4 clams at one time.....never had an issue other than the tang picking algae off the side of the clam shells. Maybe you just needed to clip nori onto the side of the tank more often?? :rolleyes:

I know most of the talk of harpooning is being said light heartedly but lets just remember. If you put an animal into your tank and it behaves naturally, that is our fault not the animals. I think in many ways being a responsible reef keeper has more to do with how we deal with negatives than the positives.
Whew ....that being said. Ray I'm not saying you did anything wrong choosing a yellow tang hell he's gotta be one of the top ten "reef safe" fishes. (well maybe 999.99 times out of 1000). I just hate reading 'if I catch that SOB I'll flush him' threads.
Lets face it do you think any one of our fish asked to be here or do ya think they would rather be in Fiji watching chicks in bikinis snorkel.

My yellow tang was irritating my clams, but not nipping at the mantle (per se). It was trying to graze the scutes and had to move the mantle to get there. I now use a toothbrush (weekly) on the shells of the clam. No more sponge or alga, no more mantle nipping.

I'd still like to catch my yellow and get him out of my system, but I've got bigger fires to put out lately.

Dave

Ever have you wife or girlfreind say or do something where you say "I am going to kill them" well 99.9 % or the time you dont really want to kill them......same thing with what I was saying. If I really wanted to harpoon the poor fish I would have done it months ago when it started :)

I am not going to keep clam so yellow tang is OK for me.
Clam always reminds me food...taste good.

Awe..don't feel bad. I have threatened my tank critters for as long as I've had the tank. You are right, you get mad at something and have no intention of following through.

Except, I did have a skunk cleaner that ATE chunks of mantle off of a small maxi that I had. Put holes clear through it and also dined on byssal threads!! I tried for weeks (unsuccessfully) to catch it. I had it by the antennae more than once and it broke free (and broke it's antenna too). Ultimately, I did skewer it with a dowel and sewing needle. Much to my dismay, it was all for not, the clam succumed and died weeks later. The mantle was a mess.

Dave

Back