DC return pump question

Bobbofin

Non-member
Thinking of upgrading to a DC return pump for 40 breeder for ease of feed mode button and electricity savings. I currently use a Eheim Compact 2000+ pump, 31 watts, turned half way down. I am looking for about 250 gph thru the sump and maybe tee off to run my reactor to eliminate another pump. I hear this pumps don't have very much head pressure and there's quality issues. I was going to look at a DC2000 or a DC3000 model. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

With 250 gph sump flow through at 0 head pressure you are not leaving much to push a manifold and return to your display.

The jebao pumps do have head loss. The 3000 does about 240 gph at 6 and a half feet

I use a Waveline DC-6000 with a tap off the return line for a small BRS carbon reactor plenty of flow I have it set low, the sump is located directly under my 70 gal. I have only been running it a couple of months so I can't say much about reliability, I suspect most of the DC pumps share a common bloodline.

Jim

With 250 gph sump flow through at 0 head pressure you are not leaving much to push a manifold and return to your display.

The jebao pumps do have head loss. The 3000 does about 240 gph at 6 and a half feet

Sounds like I'm going to need a DC-4000 or 6000 then turn it down to the desired level. Better than the Eheim 2000+ pump I have choked back 50% at the valve on the side and running at full speed.

I was using a Jebao DC3000 on my tank for 2 years never missed a beat. The DC pumps, compared WATT per Watt Have a much better head height

If you have the money I also recommend one if the waveline pumps. I've been running one for over a year with no problems, nice and quiet and plenty of flow.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I've decided on a Wavelive DC2500 660 gph pump. That will do me for my needs. They are highly rated and I just don't trust Jebao.

I didnt trust the Jebao either, but had gone with the Reef octopus 5500. It was a lot of money, but dead silent and ready made well. I love the fact that it is fully controllable, and like I said silent.

Good Luck with it

Derek

I have the JECOD DCT3000 on my 48g with 15g sump, and its turned one up from lowest setting and still pushing strong at ~240gph measured (by me, not an estimate) through the sump which is right where I need it.
They are adjustable from 237gph to 792gph not accounting for head pressure. So I cannot imagine a scenario where it would ever be too weak nor too strong for any tank 29g-75g.

It was only $55 plus shipping (I think $67 total) and is dead silent, strong, fully controllable, same deal as every other DC pump. I'm 100% satisfied with it and my setup is mirror of yours (it's my old tank! lol).
If you want I would be more than happy to post videos and a photo of the back of the box with the head pressure graph.

Is it cheaper parts than RO & Waveline? Yes. Does it work just as good? Yes.
If it ever breaks, I can replace it twice before it hits the price tag of the other brands anyways, and by then maybe i'd have more money for the Waveline model like in my RLSS skimmer.

You are thinking of the OLD model Jebao DC3000, you want the JECOD DCT. It goes lower to 237GPH which I think is roughly 190-200gph at 6' head (again I am thinking without checking).

Last edited:
Dct head pressure chart. It's in liters so you'll have to do math.
DCT%20Graph%20510.jpg

Dct head pressure chart. It's in liters so you'll have to do math.
DCT%20Graph%20510.jpg

That doesn't include the DCT3000 however. Max head pressure of the DCT3000 is 2.7 meters iirc or 8.8 feet
I'll take the photo tonight.

I have a measured 240gph flow rate on setting 02/10 with my controller on my DCT-3000 with a 4 foot head plumbing a 48g tank to a 15g sump.

Last edited:
Well there ya go. I think they are going to stop making the 3000 so get one now

They stopped production of the Jebao DC3000 in 2013.
The DCT3000 is the new model made by Jecod (Jebao's Marine Product Line) and came out just last year in 2015 and has continued production into 2016.

Back