Return pump question

Rentalcoot

Non-member
I just bought a used tank from someone and they were using a mag 5 return pump for 120 gal dual overflow. I really do not think that is sufficient so was going to buy a mag 12 or 18. Just wondering what one people would recommend. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How many returns does it have? I had a mag 5 on my 75gallon and it was plenty but I think that if there are a few returns with the dual overflows the additional power might be needed.

These days a lot of people run quite mild flow through their sumps, and supplement that with lots of in tank flow via prop pumps. That said, I agree a mag5 sounds awfully mild for a 120. If you are going to replace it, I'd suggest looking into anything but a mag pump, they are power hogs, run hot, can be prone to having issues restarting, and overall just aren't all that great. They are popular because they are affordable, easy to set up, and everyone carries them.

Personally I'm experimenting with the newish DC pumps coming out of China, but they definately haven't stood the test of time yet, and the first generation ones are definately having issues so I can't exactly reccomend then (yet??).

If you're looking to create flow through the entire system via return pump I would grab a DC pump, they can be controlled flow wise and a much more efficient, plus, if something happens you don't end up with a tank wired at 110AC but 24DC. Unless you plan on having some circulation devices in the tank itself I would design a way to partially shortcut the flow through the refugium / skimmer area - so much flow in there might actually do more harm than good.

Back