Dynos and Phosphates

Mike Lemming

BRS Member
Hi everyone!
I’m in the process of trying to get rid of dynos and all my research leads to raising nitrates and phosphates. My nitrates are currently at 6.5 but, phosphates are reading 0 (3 days in a row) with a Hanna ULR.
Any idea how high I should be raising them?
I just picked up micro bacter 7 and neophos but, I can’t calculate how much to dose if I don’t know what number I’m shooting for.
Thanks for the help!

I believe General concencesss is. PO4 levels to help win the battle is 0.10 - 0.15
I've beat them twice with these numbers. Also dosed MB7 daily and tested PO4 daily as well. Then I would physically clean out dinos as much as possible during the week while changing out filter socks everyday. You got this! Don't get stressed, totally beatable

I believe General concencesss is. PO4 levels to help win the battle is 0.10 - 0.15
I've beat them twice with these numbers. Also dosed MB7 daily and tested PO4 daily as well. Then I would physically clean out dinos as much as possible during the week while changing out filter socks everyday. You got this! Don't get stressed, totally beatable
Thanks for the input! I foolishly thought it was some sort of diatoms and it was from a dirty tank, I did a series of (5) 30% water changes over a few week period. My tank looks better but, the dynos are still there. What a waste of salt and RO lol.
Now it’s time to dirty it up!

Feed reefroids. That will raise your p04 fast. Add bacteria daily and if possible add pods. The pods eat Dino and as they eat them the good bacteria will replace the dino.

I thought fresh tank water is a bad idea when dealing with dyno’s if they’re dominant. Shouldn’t change water. Be careful with sudden changes. As far as dosing mb7 I think your going to find that you’ll need more diversity. I’ve used refresh from Dr Tim’s and another that can’t think of right now. You can battle with adding phyto and copepods also. Do you know what type of Dyno’s? All this and it could be the type that will be eliminated by UV. Do you have microscope?

I thought fresh tank water is a bad idea when dealing with dyno’s if they’re dominant. Shouldn’t change water. Be careful with sudden changes. As far as dosing mb7 I think you’re going to find that you’ll need more diversity. I’ve used refresh from Dr Tim’s and another that can’t think of right now. You can battle with adding phyto and copepods also. Do you know what type of Dyno’s? All this and it could be the type that will be eliminated by UV. Do you have microscope?
Yes, I’ve stopped with the water changes. Trying to dirty the tank up at the moment. I also have micro bacter clean and another bottle of bacteria. As for the microscope, I don’t have one so, I don’t know which type these are.

Yes, I’ve stopped with the water changes. Trying to dirty the tank up at the moment. I also have micro bacter clean and another bottle of bacteria. As for the microscope, I don’t have one so, I don’t know which type these are
You will need to figure out what type you have. Buy or borrow a microscope. That other bacteria I used was Bacto blend.

Good to know. I'll have to look around and see what I can find. A little bacteria from a bunch of difference sources is probably best!
Yes. Hey at fragsgiving there’s a vendor with live rock coming. More diversity. Bacteria works but slow process while the good outcompetes the bad. But knowing if the Dino stays in sand or going in water column will at least help narrow your method down. GL

Back