good reason to use reef dip

nitrofish

reefing again!
I just treated a new frag with a reef dip made with Levasole. if you where at the meeting they raffled some off.

anyway to get to the point I have dipped this coral in and found tons of bristle worms. there all dead now, but I never even know they where in there. granted these are not nearly as bad as acro flatworms, but it goes to show that its a good habit to get into.

I'm not going to embarrass the person who sold this to me, and I'm still very happy with the coral.

but take the time to treat your new frags, its a lot harder to control when introduced into you main system.

Attachments

• reef dip test.jpg
    reef dip test.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 501
nitrofish said:
I just treated a new frag with a reef dip made with Levasole. if you where at the meeting they raffled some off.

anyway to get to the point I have dipped this coral in and found tons of bristle worms. there all dead now, but I never even know they where in there. granted these are not nearly as bad as acro flatworms, but it goes to show that its a good habit to get into.

I'm not going to embarrass the person who sold this to me, and I'm still very happy with the coral.

but take the time to treat your new frags, its a lot harder to control when introduced into you main system.

:eek::eek::eek:

the weird thing is they came out of nowhere, you really can't see these guys till you kill them off. acro flatworms are even harder to see.

Not my frag....but...that species of bristleworm occurs naturally in every tank. They are a natural detritivore that is harmless.

Greg, thats true, and I dont think hes worried about the bristleworms. I think its more of a "Even if you can't see them, stuff may be in there, so be safe"

Greg Hiller said:
Not my frag....but...that species of bristleworm occurs naturally in every tank. They are a natural detritivore that is harmless.

but the point is if they where something really bad, they would have been introduced into my main tank. after seeing all those little boddies, I got to thinking, damn, good thing those wernt flatworms or something. even though those are harmless, I feel better knowing I did treat the coral anyway.

>but the point is if they where something really bad, they would have been introduced into my main tank<

Agreed, but the post gave the impression that someone was trading a frag with you that had something 'bad' on it...and in this case I strongly disagree.

>what color are the bad flatworms<

Depends which ones you are talking about. The Acropora eating ones are essentially clear. The photosynthetic ones are red/brown. There are plenty of brown flat worms are not a problem, and there are plenty of clear ones that are not a problem.

The Montipora eating nudis are bright white and 'frilly'.

Pardon my ignorence... but is Levasole the pig/sheep dewormer? (just did some google searching.) Also how much do you add to how much water, and about how long do you let it sit?

Thanks!

-Mike

Leavmisole is the pig / sheep dewormer. It is used at 40ppm for 6 hours for our application.

mloebl said:
Pardon my ignorence... but is Levasole the pig/sheep dewormer? (just did some google searching.) Also how much do you add to how much water, and about how long do you let it sit?

Thanks!

-Mike

really depends on the concentration. you can get nearly pure powder form which will need tiny amounts. or I used the injectable version which is watered down a bit, so you will need slightly more.

as for the treatment wait time, mitch carl waits up to 5 hours , but I think thats a little overkill. Id say 1-2 hours. my dosage is 1/2 ml to 1/2 gallon of water useing a 13.65% solution (136.5 mg per ml.) this dosage has been discussed in other threads and seems like is a fairly accurate dose. I used it and it seems fine. you could always use less or more .

by the way, the bottle I used says it expired 2007. powder form probley lasts much longer.

I won't be buying any more. I basicly wanted enough to try, but a bottle costed $45. so I sold off the extra at cost and donated some to the club. maybe someone else could re-package this and market this as an effective reef dip, but I don't really want to be a saleman. too much work.

MAReefer1 said:
I won some of the dip at the meeting from the raffle...how much does that stuff normally cost?

I sold all the bottles I had for $5 but that was what it costed me to make and package. you could sell it for whatever you wanted. try the buy and sell section, im sure someone might have some interest in it.

Greg Hiller said:

I agree with you Greg...I wouldn't worry about them?

Nitro.... But the point you make about not seeing things that are bad until they are dead is so true!!!Dip Dip & more dip as far as I'm concerned..
B

nitrofish said:
really depends on the concentration. you can get nearly pure powder form which will need tiny amounts. or I used the injectable version which is watered down a bit, so you will need slightly more.

as for the treatment wait time, mitch carl waits up to 5 hours , but I think thats a little overkill.

The 5 hour dip time is not for the AFW it's for Montipora nudibranchs as well as other nudi pests we encounter. Most AFw do die in two hours but be safe not sorry. I'm told the smaller AFW are a little tougher to kill than the adults & require a longer dip time.

HTH any confusion. It's hard to read the whole thread unless you honed in on it from the start!!!

damn thats alot of brittle worms. I seen less of these guys ever since I switch to BB. I would like more of them.

this is me said:
damn thats alot of brittle worms. I seen less of these guys ever since I switch to BB. I would like more of them.
Dump a few inches of sand in there. ;) :p

Moe_K said:
Dump a few inches of sand in there. ;) :p

I removed the sand because I got sick of the sandstorm which was caused by the Tunze. When I removed the sand, the bristle worms came up and I put it back to the tank. I dont know where they went now. When I used to have sand, 20-30 of them(big ones) would come up when I feed. Now, maybe one or two came out from the rock.

Back