good reason to use reef dip

this is me said:
damn thats alot of brittle worms. I seen less of these guys ever since I switch to BB. I would like more of them.

if you got a bare bottom tank you probably wouldn't need them, since everything gets siphoned up anyway.

I don't really see mine, are they nocturnal? I know there in there somewhere.

unfortunately the reef dip kills just about everything, so if you get some really cool hitch hikers, kiss them goodbye. but I just assume kill everything. I can't wait to see what I find next.

The acro flatworms can be clear/white or a more tan/brown. I believe it depends on the color of the acro flesh they happen to be dining on at the time.

I found 2 farely large flat worms on a rock (without acro) from a trade today. I found them doing a quick inspection with a mag glass before the dips. I'll take some pictures tomorrow of what I find dead in the qt tomorrow morning....this one's getting an 8 hour dip in a higher than normal levamisole concentration. I may loose the new coral, but better than infecting the tank. And to say it again...this is not an acro, it's a softie. The tank it came from must have a pretty dense flat worm population and they got caught on this rock while migrating....dip everything!!

I think 8 hrs is too long.. I've had a few check out in the 6 hr, but everything that was going to die invert-wise seemed to do so in the first 60-90 minutes.

Well, I'm going to bed...for 8 hours, if it lives...good, if not....I'll still have a flatworm free tank! :)

They look just like the white flat worms from my pics before, so yup acro eating flatworms...caught in transit I assume, could have been blown off of an acro and landed on the rock with the softie? Dunno? But I have no question as to what they are. I know alot of people are trying to blast them into the water colum with turkey basters and power heads in the hope their fish will eat them....I guess some land in the rock work.

YIKES!!!!!!!!! Please watch out and dip everything...seems we haven't seen the last of these buggers.

One Eye said:
The acro flatworms can be clear/white or a more tan/brown. I believe it depends on the color of the acro flesh they happen to be dining on at the time.

I found 2 farely large flat worms on a rock (without acro) from a trade today. I found them doing a quick inspection with a mag glass before the dips. I'll take some pictures tomorrow of what I find dead in the qt tomorrow morning....this one's getting an 8 hour dip in a higher than normal levamisole concentration. I may loose the new coral, but better than infecting the tank. And to say it again...this is not an acro, it's a softie. The tank it came from must have a pretty dense flat worm population and they got caught on this rock while migrating....dip everything!!

Dip & dip & dip until your heart is content!!!! & nothing is safe from a dip that goes in my reef!!! UPDATE. Levaminsole HCI can be used on crocea clams!!!:D I had to be sure.....
It was a hard one to do because I couldn't get feedback on it. (even from mitch) No one has dipped a clam in this stuff yet. Well tonight was the test. 5 hours in Levaminsole HCI (one hour after the interceptor treatment had begun) as well as a 6 hour triple dose of interceptor. The clam was pi$$ed when he came out of it. (pinched mantle) Put it in the tank & he must have been giving off a scent. Freakin peppermint shrimp started to try & pick at the slit in the clamped shell. A few wacks with a plastic stick & a cut two liter bottle with holes. (after watching the dam shrimps keep going over to pick) &...walla.. mantle opened up after about 20 mins once it realized the shrimp couldn't get to it.

So in closing I will add.....I dip everything & I mean everything. No rubble from other peoples tanks go in my system, period. You can't be too careful.

Just a note to add. Nadda on pests. I suggest that all reefers be more careful & be on the safe side. DIP EVERYTHING!!

When you see this post & wonder...(dam he's posting late) Just took a zoo frag out of the 5 hour levaminsole HCI & 6 hour triple interceptor treatment. Yes that's right a ZOO frag!!!!!
Night people. I'm tired as well as tenacious. ;)

One Eye said:
They look just like the white flat worms from my pics before, so yup acro eating flatworms...caught in transit I assume, could have been blown off of an acro and landed on the rock with the softie? Dunno?
Maybe they were on a dinner date? off to the Cali Tort for a 3 course, then over to your new Atlantis frag to watch the moonlights come on before laying a nice clutch of eggs for you?

>UPDATE. Levaminsole HCI can be used on crocea clams!!!<

I'd wait a few days or weeks (or maybe you have already, in that case I take back my comment) before being certain the clam was not harmed.

FWIW, in the past I've purchased clams from a few people that had all types of algae problems. I purchased one clam completely covered in Bryopsis and Valonia. I have found that you can remove a clam from water and force it to close completely. Then you can CAREFULLY spray the outside of the clam shell with tap water, then 70% ethanol (or 70 isopropanol, rubbing alcohol from the drug store), wait about 30 seconds, then rinse the shell again quickly with tap water, then quickly get the clam back into some salt water to rinse everything off. The treatment with alcohol effectively rapidly dehydrates and kills anything (algae, and any other critters) on the shell. You have to be careful of course not to get the tap water or alcohol into the opening in the clam (some species have larger openings than others). I've used this technique to clean the shell of several clams (T. deresa, and T. maxima) and also used it occasionally on snails that were coated in suspisiuos (wish I could spel) algae.

The reason for 70% rather than 100% is that for some reason it is more effective at killing than 100%. Hospitals, and other folks that need to kill things also use it at 70%.

I did the same... every frag I got yesterday got a 6 hour dip of levamisole and interceptor. Even took out every acro I had and put those in too.

This morning I have been looking at the water I dipped them all in. Found a couple of small bristle stars, but nothing else (WOO!!). There was also about a 3/4" long piece of my oregon tort that broke off and hid itself under the heater. I had unplugged the heater about 11:30 last night, so this piece was unheated for about 11 hours, and in levamisole and interceptor for about 17 hours. 10 minutes after putting it in my tank... polyps are back out :)

Mark

Will it kill hitchhiker crabs as well? I had a new acro frag that I had gotten, and for the first fews days had some STN. Things finally seemed to be recovering until last night discovered a little green fuzzy looking crab eating the polyps :mad: . Fast and very small; took me about 5mins of chasing him around the colony over a container to catch him.

-Mike

mloebl said:
Will it kill hitchhiker crabs as well? I had a new acro frag that I had gotten, and for the first fews days had some STN. Things finally seemed to be recovering until last night discovered a little green fuzzy looking crab eating the polyps :mad: . Fast and very small; took me about 5mins of chasing him around the colony over a container to catch him.

-Mike
If the fuzzy crab has red eyes it is definitely bad. Some other fuzzy crabs without red eyes are alo bad but some are fine.

Aquaman_68 said:
If the fuzzy crab has red eyes it is definitely bad. Some other fuzzy crabs without red eyes are alo bad but some are fine.

Had neon green/blue eyes. Have a nice inch line of dead polyps today where he was eating last night. :mad: Should recover, just irritating.

-Mike

Greg Hiller said:
>UPDATE. Levaminsole HCI can be used on crocea clams!!!<

I'd wait a few days or weeks (or maybe you have already, in that case I take back my comment) before being certain the clam was not harmed.

FWIW, in the past I've purchased clams from a few people that had all types of algae problems. I purchased one clam completely covered in Bryopsis and Valonia. I have found that you can remove a clam from water and force it to close completely. Then you can CAREFULLY spray the outside of the clam shell with tap water, then 70% ethanol (or 70 isopropanol, rubbing alcohol from the drug store), wait about 30 seconds, then rinse the shell again quickly with tap water, then quickly get the clam back into some salt water to rinse everything off. The treatment with alcohol effectively rapidly dehydrates and kills anything (algae, and any other critters) on the shell. You have to be careful of course not to get the tap water or alcohol into the opening in the clam (some species have larger openings than others). I've used this technique to clean the shell of several clams (T. deresa, and T. maxima) and also used it occasionally on snails that were coated in suspisiuos (wish I could spel) algae.

The reason for 70% rather than 100% is that for some reason it is more effective at killing than 100%. Hospitals, and other folks that need to kill things also use it at 70%.

I always thought it was bad to take a clam out of water and if he jugged an air bubble it was dead. Not true I assume. I've scrubbed one before but under salt water in a bucket.

as long as he's fully closed its ok then?

Yaktop said:
I always thought it was bad to take a clam out of water and if he jugged an air bubble it was dead. Not true I assume. I've scrubbed one before but under salt water in a bucket.

as long as he's fully closed its ok then?
The crocea clams are the ones who are more notorious for sucking or traping air. If you take the clam out of water when you put them back just do this:. Place the clam back into the water right side up & once it is submerged flip it upside & you will see it burp & air come from it. (that is if it has sucked any in.) Then you can place it right side up in it's tank location.

Aren't croceas found in surf and tidal zones?

Shouldnt having air get in them be a pretty normal thing.

Back