good reason to use reef dip

A clam expert who is a wholesaler & also a retailer told me croceas are the ones that get air & sometimes need to be burped. Being in strong surge& being out of water are two different animals. If the surroundings are natural to the clam I'm sure it's not going to suck air.

I should have dipped..

DSCN1479.JPG

I have no idea how big this guy is but I've seen at least 4" of body out of the rock before. Have 2-3 that big I am sure I have more. They come out at feeding time even in full light.

This is the other one I see alot.

DSCN1482.JPG

I'm guessing these are not that bad to have, just kinda creepy. One of them I know came out of some live rock I had in my 25g. Just reef scavengers no?

Has anyone SEEN acro flatworms dead in a container after a dip with this levemsol (or whatever it is?) I've herd it works & he said she said it works but never herd first hand if it actually works.

I did dip my new corals as well ... nothing came off :) I also decided to try a few tests...since we all know that they DO die in fresh water I took some frags of a digi & dipped them in 1...completly fresh water for 1 min...dead...@ 1.010 though the frag survived. anyone tried a dip like this with flat worms? Thank god I dont have them and cant tell if at 1.010 they would die...but the coral survived.

Also for what its worth softies like zoa's CAN get a nice fresh water dip...would be much less stressful than 2 different chemicals or 3 if you dip logolis (whatever...iodine dip) I do a 5 min fresh water dip on incomming zoa's and they are fine and open within an hour or 2....theres no way in hell a flatworm will survive that.

I think someone tried the FWD on the AFW way back. I'm not sure it worked fast enough for the coral to make it. I also think the lower spg was not enough to kill them either. (they are still alive but a little dazed) There are people on RC who claim that TM has a product, or dip that is,which kills them (AFW) in one hour. Don't recall the name ..but just the same..........you have to be careful what you read on RC.

I'll take some pics in about 6 hours, I just stuck the infected frag in a qt the other night. I'm treating it right now.

ive done a short freshwater dip on a galixia coral, and it seemed fine. found some dead red/brown flatworms on that frag.

Killed em. I didn't bother with pics...they look like dead fw's. If you haven't seen them, look in Moe's useful threads. I have some pics of live and dead fw's as well as the eggs and bite marks.

One Eye said:
Killed em. I didn't bother with pics...they look like dead fw's. If you haven't seen them, look in Moe's useful threads. I have some pics of live and dead fw's as well as the eggs and bite marks.

how long & how strong was the soup? Did you check to see how long it took for them to perish. I've been told adults will get waxed in less than two hours @ 40 ppm of Levaminsole HCI.

I used 1.5 ml of the liquid we got in the buy. Recomended was 1.1ml so I was a little over 40 ppm. I didn't check to see when they died. I just changed the water after 6 hours. The coral is in the qt tank with new water. I didn't find any eggs so I think the fw's were just migrating and got caught on the rock when it was bagged. But, I'm not taking any chances, it'll stay in the qt for a couple weeks.

OK guys please stop giving me the willies everytime Iget into a thread like this I start freaking......on that note Jeff I know your not saying where it came from .. and I am glad you take that stand point on the threads but ANYONE reading this PLEASE if you recieved anything from me that came with ANY type of hitchhiker other than the mini stars and asterina stars PLease LMK either here or PM As much As I can tell I have a clean system but oviously one never knows

skyedolphan said:
OK guys please stop giving me the willies everytime Iget into a thread like this I start freaking......on that note Jeff I know your not saying where it came from .. and I am glad you take that stand point on the threads but ANYONE reading this PLEASE if you recieved anything from me that came with ANY type of hitchhiker other than the mini stars and asterina stars PLease LMK either here or PM As much As I can tell I have a clean system but oviously one never knows

I know it makes you cringe Damw...Sorry.but it's a sad fact we have to deal with in the hobby. The more exposure that it gets the more people we will educate. ;)

Ok...So we know for a fact now that this dip works on acro flatworms & bristleworms & monti nudies correct? It does not work on Red mites so a separate interceptor dip is needed for those.

What about zoa nudies, sundial snails & zoa spiders? Does either of these dips work on these pests or will separate dips still need to be done on these? I dont think fresh water dips or iodine dips kill the snails or spiders so I was just wondering if anyone knew.

Jov, your like me when it comes to zoas I still saY the best way to handle the zoa problems ( which tend to be worse than the SPS problems IMO ) is the FW dip at a higher temp I do a 2 minute dip in 90degree temp although I would never suggest it to others I ahve only lost 1 frag to it in the last year in the half sometimes they take a day or 2 to destress but mosttimes within 20 minutes they are openbut by doing this it seriously tends to piss off nudis, spiders and any crabs that are hidden but havent seen it do anything to the white lesions that are now plaguing zoas..but I ma working on something I got from a vet friend on those parasites ;)

jovreef said:
Ok...So we know for a fact now that this dip works on acro flatworms & bristleworms & monti nudies correct? It does not work on Red mites so a separate interceptor dip is needed for those.

What about zoa nudies, sundial snails & zoa spiders? Does either of these dips work on these pests or will separate dips still need to be done on these? I dont think fresh water dips or iodine dips kill the snails or spiders so I was just wondering if anyone knew.

I would imagine all nudis are toast in this dip but you might want to experiment & post your findings. (if your lucky or "unlucky" in having some to test with!!!) Spiders I think would also be toast. Sundial snails.....I think they may make it thru the dip. I dipped a crocea in a 6 hour bath without a hitch. (well other than it pissing the clam off a bit) I will post my pics soon. If a clam will make the 6 hour dip I would imagine snails might make it thru the same process. Just a guess but I will put a snail in my next dip to see how it fairs. As far as mites...Don't know...Jury still out & on that one. I dip with Levaminsole & interceptor in the same bath.

I've been very lucky not to get any of these so I cant add any useful information to the subject...just questions.

You dont think the interceptor & levaminsole mixed will cause any chemical breakdown making the 2 drugs ineffective do you?

jovreef said:
I've been very lucky not to get any of these so I cant add any useful information to the subject...just questions.

You dont think the interceptor & levaminsole mixed will cause any chemical breakdown making the 2 drugs ineffective do you?

No, I doubt it, two different forms of poison. The only thing that can happen is overdose & death but that hasn't happened yet. Not in the sps & other things I've dipped so far.

>Would Mitch Carl's dip work on Zoo's and mushrooms?<

Should work. Some might react differently, but my guess is that most of these types of inverts should recover over a few days. A short duration fresh water dip will also work with things like this.

Back