Question about PUMP and Tunze Osmolator Nano 3152

nemodan

Non-member
Hi All

I have a 14G biocube and I would like to add a Tunze Nano osmolator. The kit comes with all included, but I would like to use another pump. The reazon is that in a case of failure, the system will continue pumping for some minutes and the calculated volume was a little less than a half galon. My tank have not evaporated less than a full tea cup per day. If I added an extra volumen of nearby a half galon then I will have an issue with overfloding the tank and with osmolarity.

So I would like to replace the Tunze pump with a "dosing pump" that adds mililiters and will be more than enought to top off my 14G biocube.

Do you know if "I can use another brand pump" connected to the Tunze osmolator ??

I am affraid that the kit pump come with a connector that force you tu use only the Tunze pump. I do not have a store to look to one of these kits.

I would like to have this ATO system in my tanks due to all the good reviews I have read.

Thank you,
Daniel

You could just use the dosing pump on a timer if you know how much you are evaporating, no need for the ATO then right?

My tunze is VERY reliable.

You could just use the dosing pump on a timer if you know how much you are evaporating, no need for the ATO then right?

You don't want to do that on a small 14gallon tank (more like 10 gallons when you add up the sand and rocks).
That might work if the room temperature and humidity were constant all the time.

During winter I was losing 1 gallon per day, I'm guessing its because the air was dry. Now, with two fans pointed at the water, I am losing 1-1.25 gallons/day.

As P-Nut wrote, it is variable day by day. I wrote that volume to provide an idea to the reader.

Thanks
Daniel

Then set up float switches and use a different pump. Seems like the issue you see is that the tunze system could continue to run so you can just build your own. Although I think any system could malfunction, possibility is there.

Then set up float switches and use a different pump. Seems like the issue you see is that the tunze system could continue to run so you can just build your own. Although I think any system could malfunction, possibility is there.

The question is simple: can the Tunze use a different pump or does it come set up in such a way that you can only use what they offer (like an iPhone charger).

On post #2 you wrote that you love your Tunze, so you have one. Can you unplug the pump and use a different one, like you can in a JBJ ATO?

I think he understands it can fail, just like anything mechanical can and will fail at some point. He just wants to lower his risk by using a pump that will pump less water into his system.

Last edited:
Noone has a Tunze Osmolator to take a look and help me to answer my question?. I believe the question is valid also if you have the Universal Osmolator for bigger tanks. Can I use any pump ?

Thanks

Last edited:
You can't use another pump. but one thing that has never happened to me is the pump sticking on. They do die though but are very cheaper to replace.

your best bet is to do what I do use a peristaltic pump on a time to feed your osmolator top off container. You time the pump for the amount of water you need to top off. the Tunze will only run for 10 minutes before it shuts down so it won; burn out if it runs out of water. That way even if it stuck on it would never pump more than you set it to. For a smaller system you may have to set the timer a few times a day. Everything will have to be timed just so.

Last edited:
Sorry I missed the question but Delta got it, the pumps are not interchangable thats why i recommended the float switch (apologies if you weren't looking for a recommendation)

Back