Rock-n-Reef’s IM 112 Gallon Lagoon style build (or rather the 2020 Corona build!)

There is some light spill as I expected, but I'm liking the fixture. Still haven't measured the light coverage inside the tank. Will do that over the weekend.

1596566604832.jpeg

The inside cabinet looks like a miniature utility plant like a power plant. Looks very clean and organized.

What are the 2 metal boxes above the ATO reservoir?

Fish stocking for now (moved from my old 40 gallon and the main reef):
Tang Gang: Pair of Gem Tang + Tomini Tang
Copper Band Butterfly
A rouge Bimaculatus Anthias (I ended up having 1 supermale and 2 males from the juvenile all female school that I started with and had to separate the males to different tanks). So this one guy will enjoy this tank.

Future Plans:

Some wrasses (probably lineatus or a pink margin if I can find a few small juvenile to qt and introduce at once)
And maybe some nice baslets

1596567742178.jpeg

1596567835393.jpeg

Now that's a fish room. Great set up. I'm impressed.
Thank you Nick! Yes that's approximately 20 cubic foot of space under the stand! The most compact fish room I have ever had. Lets see how long before the wires and cords start to become a snake pit! ;)

The tank and “fish room” both look great.

One plus with Vortechs is that the those cords don’t need to be removed for maintenance. Hopefully the wire management stays clean and neat for a long time. That is until you buy more gear :D.

The tank and “fish room” both look great.

One plus with Vortechs is that the those cords don’t need to be removed for maintenance. Hopefully the wire management stays clean and neat for a long time. That is until you buy more gear :D.
Thank you! Agreed on the vortech! It can't be anymore easier than that to maintain

Very jealous and impressed by the immaculate clean setup, both visible and behind the scenes (behind the stand?).

Feedback on Innovative Marine 112 INT tank and the overflow chamber

At the beginning of the build thread I talked about why I selected this tank. Having gone through the build and having the tank up for about a week, here is my initial feedback. The build quality is really nice compared to other custom built / ready-made tanks that I have had. The euro braces with the same thickness glass (12 mm) makes it sturdy. I wish it had armored seams to protect from any glass cleaning accidents. That’s where the custom-built tanks come in.

The overflow does not take a ton of space in the back. The trapezoid shape in the center to allow for where the drain & return pipes gives a perspective as though only 3 inches being used when looking at it from the sides. And the internal overflow means, I can keep the tank and stand all the way back against the wall.

At first when looking at the pictures of the overflow for this tank on the internet, I was paranoid if the overflow section will become a detritus trap. There was little information available and looking at youtube videos of folks setting up the 112 INT or the 150 INT I was not able to get a good view of the overflow chamber structure.

For example here is how the water flows from the overflow to the back chamber on my old IM Nuvo 40. This was my concern. Even though you have a pump sitting in the back chamber, it is not forcing proper water flow to the bottom corners.

1596654857878.png

However, after I received the tank, I noticed that the baffles in the IM 112 INT back chamber does not create a dead spot. The bottom baffle partition (red highlighted in the above diagram) is not there. Huge relief!!! To explain, here is a quick diagram of the back chamber of IM 112 INT that I put-together.

1596654941754.png

So this is able to move the water through the entire chamber, and the primary drain pulling water all the way from the bottom of the overflow chamber seems to do the trick. The baffles are there only to provide support for the overflow back wall.

I wish the tank manufacturer had a sketch like above in their manual or tank specs to make the potential buyer’s decision a bit easy. I’m documenting this here, in case anyone else is looking for the same information I was hunting around few weeks ago.

Thanks for sharing that diagram. I notice the secondary drain doesn’t have an elbow. Does it function as a trickle surface skimmer?
And btw your corals look amazing.

Thanks for sharing that diagram. I notice the secondary drain doesn’t have an elbow. Does it function as a trickle surface skimmer?
And btw your corals look amazing.
Yes, it is set to trickle just a bit from the overflow chamber surface.

Thank you!

Back