Rock-n-Reef’s IM 112 Gallon Lagoon style build (or rather the 2020 Corona build!)

Okay, I haven't posted an update in a while. 2 months to be exact. Tank has been doing well. As you can see from my last post in January, I ran into high phosphate issue. I believe it increased over the period of time. Couple of things likely attributed to it:

1) I pulled out the refugium in late November due to macro algae breaking down. Did not add any other export method when I removed it
2) Detritus collecting in the overflow chamber.

The interesting thing though, the corals did not show any issues. At this high levels, I would have thought the acros would brown out. But didn't really see any issues.

In order to bring it down, did few large water changes, and used Brightwell Phosphate-E as a Phosphate export method on the tank. I know there are a ton of horror story with using Phosphate-E and other Lanthanum Chloride additives, and reef keepers losing live stock, crashing tanks etc. I knew what I was getting into and went slow.

Right now the Phosphate is between 0.1 and 0.08. As I was bring down the phosphate, had to keep a close eye on the Alkalinity and keep that balanced. Here is my test results since January 13th.

1615697122394.png

Phosphate-E is now part of the routine. Dosing 1 ml per day. As the coral colonies get large, I'm sure they will consume more nutrients at which point I can dial this down.

Talking about corals, here are some recent pictures of the tank.

1615697527316.jpeg

The frags are encrusting and starting to grow.. still long way to get to colony sizes.

1615697547900.jpeg

1615697651469.jpeg

1615697671621.jpeg

1615697689200.jpeg

Tank is at the 9 month mark now. it has been a slow and steady progress. Some of the frags have had good growth especially the tenius and starting to look like small colonies. There are others that have spread-out like pancakes on the rock and not ready to take off yet.

Parameters are steady and nutrients are under control now. I was dosing Vibrant on this tank previously and stopped dosing that 9 weeks ago. Similarly I used Phosphate-E (see my post above) to get my high po4 under control. Stopped dosing that on March 25th.

Parameters (May 2021):
Alk - 7.8 to 8 dKH
Ca - 400 - 430 ppm
Mg - Haven't tested that in a while
PO4 - 0.06 to 0.09 ppm
NO3 - 4.5 to 12.7 ppm

Added 2 juvenile Golden Rhomboids (end of April). No other changes to livestock.

PXL_20210520_152015498.MP.jpg

These build threads are awesome. Would love to see a spreadsheet on items/cost of anyone were willing to take the time and share.

These build threads are awesome. Would love to see a spreadsheet on items/cost of anyone were willing to take the time and share.
I'm in the 8-12 thousand dollar range for equipment and plumbing.
I'm sure there's a bit more to this that I can't think of but here's a general idea. This doesn't include salt, rock or coral.Thanks for making me depressed lol.
Screenshot_20210526-164601.png

Last edited:

ICP Test Results​

Recently I sent across samples from my two tanks as well as my salt mix for ICP.

Salt Mix --> https://www.triton-lab.de/en/showroom/icp-oes/102725
Tank #1 (IM 112) --> https://www.triton-lab.de/en/showroom/icp-oes/102716
Tank #2 (IM 200) --> https://www.triton-lab.de/en/showroom/icp-oes/103355

Overall nothing surprising, but a few observations
  • The salt mix (Red Sea blue bucket) seem to show high level of Barium. Not sure if this is from the salt or from my source water. Has anyone else noticed this on your ICP?
  • Tank #1 is using All-for-Reef for dosing, and Tank #2 is using a calcium reactor with no other trace element additives. Since All-for-Reef already has trace elements, this mostly seems fine. The calcium reactor one seems to be struggling with almost no iodine and slightly low on Potassium. Probably time to add some trace elements.
  • There is some level of Aluminum in both the tanks (though nothing in the salt mix). This is clearly coming from the marine pure blocks that I'm using. Haven't seen any major issues due to this. So going to leave these as is for now.
Both the tanks are in a good place in terms of coral growth and stability. These test results should help as a baseline. Would be good to come back in the Fall and compare against these to see how much the tanks got neglected in the summer! :p

1623006621200.png

1623006629641.png

Tank is officially at one year mark! It has been chugging along nicely. No major changes besides the lightning.

Updated the original Giesemann stellar fixture with XL extension plates so that I can run the radions front to back, and also switched to three Radion G5 Blues.

Added an additional MP40 to give some additional flow in the tank (total of three MP40s now).

1630088706181.jpeg

Some FTS

1630088726041.jpeg

1630088742564.jpeg

Back