120 Oceanic Tech with Closet Sump Build

daves-reef

Non-member
Decided to open a build thread for my 120 gallon Oceanic Tech tank with closet sump project.
I will be posting updates in this thread going forward instead of the using the thread I originally started in reef talk. http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=72315
Thanks to everyone who has provided feedback and suggestions so far. They have been very helpful.

I purchased tank "semi used" from another BRS member (The tank is a couple of years old but has never seen water). It is one of the Tech Tanks that was built using 3 sides of Low Iron (Starphire) glass. The tank also has euro bracing along the top. So no is no center brace :). Tank dimensions are 48 x 24 x 24. The display tank will be at the bottom of the stairway to our basement family room. There is an existing closet under the stairs that I am going to use for the sump, refugium and other equipment. An exhaust fan has been installed in the ceiling of the closet along with GFI electrical outlets to run the equipment. The first challenge I had was fitting the largest sump and refugium possible in the small closet but still have room for maintenance and add other equipment as needed. With a shoe horn and a little elbow grease. I was just able to fit a 100 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank into the closet as the sump. I am still thinking over a couple of ideas regarding placement of the refugium but will most likely go with the 20 long that I got from Brendan. Thanks again B for the tank and of course all your help and advice. Still I would like to have the fuge over the sump if I could figure a way. Beside the spot where I am planning on putting the 20 fuge now would make for a great frag tank. Did I just say frag tank? :eek: Hold on!! That's way to far out in the future to think about now. I will be very happy if I can just get some corals to grow in the display tank. I m not sure a frag tank is even in my future. I haven't even decided on a light for the display yet .

Here is where I am with the project as of today.
After taking JayM and MisFit suggestion to paint the inside of the closet with epoxy paint. My wife really liked the way the painted paneling turned out when it was done. We had talked about painting the paneling in the past but we were not sure if it would look good. The 60's wood paneling in our family room was very dark and dated looking. After seeing how the paint came out in the closet. It was decided to go ahead and paint the rest of the paneling in the room. The timing for this new "honey do list" item worked out nice. Since I was on hold waiting for my return pump to come in, I had time because it was the new year holiday weekend, and I still could move the tank in order to paint the room. The color she picked looks as if it was selected with tank background in mind (It is close to the blue color you see some tank backgrounds painted) but actually the color is same as she had already picked for the half bath being built off the family room. Painting the paneling is not as nice as having all the walls replaced but a couple of gallons of paint sure costs a lot less. Since the tank project is kind of tied to the bathroom - family room project. Saving money there helps with costs elsewhere. I got the hole room makeover done start to finish in one weekend. My wife picked out replacement stairway carpet treads, a new area rug, and made curtains for the room. As I heard my wife say to a friend on the phone. " Who needs trading spaces when she has me" :D. I think that painting the paneling has worked out OK. It defiantly brightened things up in the room.

I was happy to see that Marco finally got his shipment of fuji rocks in. I have been waiting patiently for my order to be shipped (I had preordered 100 lbs Fuji rock even before I got my tank. I wasn't even sure I was going to go with a 120 tech or the 5' 156 ultimate when I placed the order. ) I saw his post looking for help to get the orders shipped out. Hopefully I will see my order arrive soon. Can't wait to see what the pieces I get look like.

I also received my reeflo snapper pump along with the other plumbing parts from Unique Aquaria last week. It’s been a real challenge trying to make it all fit in the closet with the sump. I spent Sunday watching the football games and dry fitting the pipe while trying out several different Ideas. I was able to wet test the return bulkhead with the intake pipe ball valve installed outside of the closet. This is the only part I could test outside of the closet and still be able to get sump to fit back into the closet. Once the rest of the plumbing is glued in place I will no longer be able to move the sump or the tank. I should have the rest of the tank plumbing done tonight. Still working out the placement of few things. I might post some pictures of tank plumbing tonight if I get it done.

Dave

Attachments

• paneling1.jpg
    paneling1.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 914
  • closetpaint1.jpg
    closetpaint1.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 862
  • paneling2.jpg
    paneling2.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 910
Last edited:
whats the lighting going ot be

Still haven't made a decision on what to use for a lighting yet. I have been all over the place trying to decide.
I have looked into everything from the Solaris LED and T5 fixtures to pair of 250 watt MH lumen bright pendants.

If the tank had a canopy I would go with 250 watt dimmable ballasts with lumen bright pendants supplemented by T5. I don't know if I could build a canopy that matched the stand stain (AGA Classic Cherry Stain?) But at this point I don’t think building a canopy and trying to match the stain is what I want.

I like the look of the Tech Tank without a hood. I would like to find a cool looking, cool running fixture that comes with legs and sits on top of the tank. One that would support a mixed reef including some SPS and clams. Just not sure what to get that fits that description.

Recently I have been looking at the new HID fixtures from AquaticLife.
http://www.aquaticlife.com/hid/index.html
They don’t make a 250 Watt version yet and there is also a question as to whether the light spread is adequate for 24 inch wide system. Krystal Clear Aquatics is a dealer for them and I have been told they have one on a 180 reef display. I plan on taking a ride out sometime to see how it looks in person.

Got the plumbing for the main pump and return line completed. You could either say it fit like a glove or whew! I was lucky to get it to fit in there at all.

The return SCH 80 bulkhead was just able to fit in the space directly opposite the stock bulkhead that I silicone closed to stop it from leaking. That was the only place it could be installed that allowed enough room to run the 1 ½ elbow and spaflex pipe between the stock tank and wall. This bulkhead feeds the pump intake. On each side of the pump a true union ball valve is installed and on the outlet there is also a clear check valve. From there it connects to a manifold made from 1 ½ Tees. I was also just able to fit 1 ½ spaflex to the tank for the return lines. Feeding it by the sump and through the wall was not easy at all. There is three addition ¾ taps on the manafold too. One ¾ will feed the refugium the others are for future use.

I haven’t filled the display tank with water yet though. I do have fresh water in the sump and the pump running on a closed loop back into the sump. The valve for the tank returns is closed. I am going to run the pump like this for a while. I want to check for any leaks on this half of the system and test the pump before I add the tank overflow and return lines into the test.

If all goes well with this test the next step will be to get the tank wet.

Attachments

• 120_plumb1a.jpg
    120_plumb1a.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 802
  • 120_plumb1b.jpg
    120_plumb1b.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 796
Last edited:
Pretty amazing looking already. Looks like you shoehorned that stuff in, but it is a very clean look facing forward. If you're looking for a 4' fixture with enough light for that tank, I am very fond of my Maristar 2x250DE fixture. You could keep anything in the tank with that fixture.

the tee fitting for your return line is not plumbed correctly,by coming in on the branch of the tee fitting you will add back pressure to the pump and reduce flow out of both outlets,you should come in on the "run" and use valvles on the branch and output to control flow.

Mandrake,
I don't understand what you mean by the "run".
Can you explain a little more. Are you talking about the pump picture or under the tank where the returns are?

Thanks Dave

under the tank from the output of your pump, it looks like you have , valve to branch to your two flexible hose outputs, one of your flexible hose should be on the branch of the tee.

Still not sure what you a recommending. It’s hard for me to understand without a picture. I had thought about using individual 3/4 inch ball valves for each return. Is that what you meant? I decided instead to go with one 1" ½ ball valve and then split into lines for both returns using the tee. Here is a picture of the current setup under the stand. Maybe you can describe the change referring to this diagram.
Thanks Dave

Attachments

• 120return_v.jpg
    120return_v.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 680
It Holds Water !

Filled up the tank and sump with fresh water for a test this weekend. So far return pump has been running for 24 hours with no leaks. Knock on wood but I think all of the fittings are good. I used both Teflon tape and paste on the threaded pipe. Purple primer and blue glue on slip fittings. Even got the refugium plumbing installed and working .

Also moded the overflow cover to fit the over the top return lines I painted and installed. I think it has a niece clean look.

Attachments

• wtest1a.JPG
    wtest1a.JPG
    16.4 KB · Views: 631
  • wtest1b.jpg
    wtest1b.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 632
  • wtest1c.JPG
    wtest1c.JPG
    21.1 KB · Views: 618
  • wtest1d.jpg
    wtest1d.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 636
I would say their is plenty of return volume with the snapper pump. (Of course I don't have much to use as a reference. I haven't personally seen many tanks or external pumps in use.) The water is about half way up the holes in the display tank overflow with the return valve open all the way. Even with the refugium valve on and the bypass valve open a little. I had to dial back the flow to the refugium. Seems to have a nice flow in the display tank but not enough to be the only flow, still going to want to supplement with some kind of power heads.

Still not sure what you a recommending. It’s hard for me to understand without a picture. I had thought about using individual 3/4 inch ball valves for each return. Is that what you meant? I decided instead to go with one 1" ½ ball valve and then split into lines for both returns using the tee. Here is a picture of the current setup under the stand. Maybe you can describe the change referring to this diagram.
Thanks Dave

Looks good!

The 1.5" True WYE on this site would be prefect for your split under your tank instead of useing a Tee.
http://www.flexpvc.com/cart/agora.cgi?product=PVC-Wyes

Then you could run off that 1.5" WYE with 1.5" pipe to reduce the friction as the pipe turned up towards your tank, then pop in a reducing bushing on each side to get to .75" to make the connection (this would maximize the flow). Or you could just put the .75" bushings in the WYE and run it up from there.

Looks good!

The 1.5" True WYE on this site would be prefect for your split under your tank instead of useing a Tee.
http://www.flexpvc.com/cart/agora.cgi?product=PVC-Wyes

Now I get it. :eek: That does look good. That would have been better. Wonder if you can get those fittings local somewhere. Just may retro fit that into the returns some time in the future. I should have just enough room to cut out the T and add a new valve and Y fitting.

I sent a PM to Marco and I just might be getting my rock order in today. Drained the sump and tank of tap water last night. Started filling the sump with ro too in preperation for some rook cooking.

Recently I have been looking at the new HID fixtures from AquaticLife.
http://www.aquaticlife.com/hid/index.html
They don’t make a 250 Watt version yet and there is also a question as to whether the light spread is adequate for 24 inch wide system. Krystal Clear Aquatics is a dealer for them and I have been told they have one on a 180 reef display. I plan on taking a ride out sometime to see how it looks in person.

I did take a ride out to Krystal Clear Aquatics last weekend and look at the AuaticLife fixture. Talked with Roger who was very helpful and very informative. I really like the the physical look of the fixture but one one thing that he mentioned was the HID lamp color. Currently only comes with HID 700+ (6500K - 7000k ish) lamp color and it does not look that good. The manufacture is reportedly coming out soon with a 14k lamp though. After seeing it in person I don't think that the AuaticLife fixture is what I want.

Krystal Clear also had a Solaris on there zero edge tank. Unfortunately I did not get to see it running as it was late in the day when I arrived and it had already turned off. Talked a little about the Solaris with Roger. He has a customer that has been running one for a year and is very happy with it. If I remeber correctly he is keeping both SPS and Clams. That's the first person I have heard of using one locally. Even assuming the Solaris would work and possibly save money on electric. That's a lot of money for lighting. Even if I could swing the cost into my budget. I don't think there would be any cash left for livestock under the light.
So I am still not sure what I am going to use for lighting.:confused:

I did take a ride out to Krystal Clear Aquatics last weekend and look at the AuaticLife fixture. Talked with Roger who was very helpful and very informative. I really like the the physical look of the fixture but one one thing that he mentioned was the HID lamp color. Currently only comes with HID 700+ (6500K - 7000k ish) lamp color and it does not look that good. The manufacture is reportedly coming out soon with a 14k lamp though. After seeing it in person I don't think that the AuaticLife fixture is what I want.

I would be surprised to find a fitting like that locally. I wouldn't even waste my time looking at Lowes or HD....I wouldn't even waste gas driving to plumbing supply stores as they might not have it either (or if they do they want some $$ for it.)

Still not sure what you a recommending. It’s hard for me to understand without a picture.

This photo expresses what he meant in theory. This is not the actual image he had in mind nor would I set my tank up this specific way, however for simplicity and lazyness cause I copied your original image just take note of the run (water flow going to the return tank without pressure building on the pump).

120return_vBETA.jpg

Last edited:
Back