120 Oceanic Tech with Closet Sump Build

Filled up the tank and sump with fresh water for a test this weekend. So far return pump has been running for 24 hours with no leaks. Knock on wood but I think all of the fittings are good. I used both Teflon tape and paste on the threaded pipe. Purple primer and blue glue on slip fittings. Even got the refugium plumbing installed and working .

Also moded the overflow cover to fit the over the top return lines I painted and installed. I think it has a niece clean look.

HAHA! Good going Dave. Glad to see you're happy with the tank. :cool:

Aquascaping the 120.

Received my Marco Rock last week. Who new a couple of boxes of rock could be so much fun. :)

After soaking it in tubs of fresh water and removing any large pieces of organics. It was time to play. There were several large show size pieces. I had trouble deciding on which to use in the display. I kept trying to cram big pieces I liked into the display. It wasn't easy sticking to my plan for a rock pillar and more open look instead of a rock wall. Ended up only using a few large pieces. I pinned two pieces together to make a pillar with overhang on one side and used a couple of medium size ones for a lower shelf area. I also took the time to drill several strategic holes for future frag plugs. The other pieces that could fit went into the sump. Finished filling with RO and added some salt last night. If the temp and SG are good I will move a couple of small pieces of rock from 65 to seed bacteria tonight.

Let the cycle begin !!

Attachments

• MVC-011X.JPG
    MVC-011X.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 375
  • MVC-014X.JPG
    MVC-014X.JPG
    25.5 KB · Views: 372
You going with a bare bottom?

No not bare bottom. I will be adding sand latter probably about 2"-3" bed. I just didn't want to add the sand until the rocks cook a little and break down the trapped organics and release phosphates. No lights for a couple of weeks and then I will do a large water change. I have two 40lb bags of Carib Sea to add then along with some live sand from my 65 to seed it.

The rock work looks good in the picture.... But it looks way waay better when you see it in person.Great job Dave!

Update

Finished moving the rock and livestock from the 65 to the 120 this week.
Except for a few choice pieces for the display most of the rock went into the sump.
I also moved some of the sand into the refugium and a little in the display to seed the new sand.
Was able to make a bracket for the auto top off float switches from plastic over the door hangers and eggcrate so I got that running too.

I still don’t know what to get for lights :confused:.
Right now all I have on the tank is a twin bulb NO fixture that’s probably 20 years old.
Now that there is some light on the tank, it starting to get a bit of diatom algae on the Marco rocks.
Hopefully the cleanup crew can keep up and this part of the cycle will go quick.

With all that seems to be going on with PFO. Solaris LED lights are definitely out (Was never totally sold on them but I thought a lot about getting one).

So now it is going to be MH / T5 retro or fixture? Of course I am still considering just T5s too.
Still all over the place. Only fixture I have ruled out besides Solaris is the Elos Planet II.
With the MH located on the ends it is really made for a longer tank. On mine they would be right over the Euro Bracing.
Too bad because I saw Nicks when he picked it up. I was impressed, very cool looking fixture.

Attachments

• 120wlr1.jpg
    120wlr1.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 294
  • 120wlr1a.jpg
    120wlr1a.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 303
Back