150 Gallon Major Project Begins.

ltelus said:
I am hoping these extractors will only be req on the hotter days of summer ,and if the system is on a controller then i am thinking that a higher cfm will reduce the on time and be more effecient.yes more electricity will be consumed when on but fan life will be extended and the noise will be less of a nuisance(these units are allegedly quieter than the cheaper 50 cfm units,also i hope i can suck the heat right off the hood and send it outside before if has too much effect on the ambient temp of the room.As are most basements mine stays extremely cool in summer and i also hope to draw cool air from the rest of the basement by leaving the door open to the fish room.
Am i crazy to have such high expectations?
i think you have the right idea. you'll also be reducing your humidity levels and may cut out the need for a chiller.

Scott,i ended up skipping the shelf but i made the whole thing removable,it is held in position by the bulkheads,i incorporated a hidden copartment on each end to hide pumps ,probes etc.I also also angled the bottom plate on Rays recommendation to prevent those trapped bubbles that annoy him so much.

what will control the fans? air temp in the room?

A single stage controller as used for a chiller with a remote sensor measuring air temp.Although your on /off temp can be controlled acurately with this unit i think there may need to be some experimentation with the sensors location i.e wether it is dependent on the ambient temp of the room or if it situated directly above the canopy and set to come on at a higher temp.
-Liam.

The overflow is complete.

Attachments

• DSCF0486 (Small).JPG
    DSCF0486 (Small).JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 1,395
Closed loops

The 2 closed loops are now assembled they just need drilling for the nozzles that will circulate behind the rock.The legs at the bottom are temporary,i have ordered some 1 1/4" acrylic rod for these,that will be glued onto 6 " acrylic discs to spread the loading once the rock is in place.

Attachments

• DSCF0506 (Small).JPG
    DSCF0506 (Small).JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 1,353
Heres a pic from above showing the screened intakes i built.They are situated about 4 " below the waters surface in hidden compartments at each end of the overflow.I put them high to may cleaning easy

Attachments

• DSCF0495 (Small).JPG
    DSCF0495 (Small).JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 1,329
wrassefan said:
any new pics on the progress Liam??

i have been working down there when my girlfriend allows it :D ,pretty mundane stuff though,drylocking,wiring,studding walls,plumbing,i'll try and find something not to boring to take a pic of.My Diamond Lumenarcs will be arriving Wednesday,then i can get to work on my small scale Greg Hiller lighting system :D

wrassefan said:
any new pics on the progress Liam??

OK Andy and anyone else whose interested,heres some pics,not much to show unless you want to see some romex or copper pipe.
The room is 2/3 wired and i have decent light in there now which is a bonus.The walls are drylocked,i don't have any water problems now but better to be safe than sorry for the long haul(IMO).I have started to install the plumbing,there will be no more lifting buckets of water in this house :)
I am going to "T" off the plumbing here to supply the bar(next project and nearly as important as this one :D )

Attachments

• DSCF0549 (Small).JPG
    DSCF0549 (Small).JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 1,289
I decided to give the room some feeling and test fitted the sump i built a while ago.It fits wohooo!!!

Attachments

• DSCF0550 (Small).JPG
    DSCF0550 (Small).JPG
    51 KB · Views: 1,294
Fragged Up said:
Is that a clean out that you are going to cover up in the floor???

Good eyes :D that clean out is for the old septic system which is now redundant as we are the town sewer.The new clean out is on the other side of the house :)

Great setup. But I'm wondering about the overflow. The problem with having the bulkhead holes on the side of the tank instead of the bottom is that a ton of air also gets sucked in causing very loud noise and inconsistant flow to the sump; your water level in the tank will probably go up and down like crazy. An external durso might help along with a 90-elbow on the bulkheads pointed down in the overflow box.

SkimmedOut said:
Great setup. But I'm wondering about the overflow. The problem with having the bulkhead holes on the side of the tank instead of the bottom is that a ton of air also gets sucked in causing very loud noise and inconsistant flow to the sump; your water level in the tank will probably go up and down like crazy. An external durso might help along with a 90-elbow on the bulkheads pointed down in the overflow box.

thanks skimmedout,i like the durso idea.As always overflows are a bit trial and error to keep them quiet,luckily because i will have a dedicated fish room noise should'nt be too much of a problem.
-Liam.

hawaii said:
who cut the stand? did you do it ,did you use a band saw

I made the cuts for the stand with a table saw and a good old fashioned hammer and chisel.
-Liam

Finally got the walls all studded,plumbing done,rough wiring finished and the insulation is underway :)
Bring on the sheetrock :eek:

Attachments

• DSCF0562 (Small).JPG
    DSCF0562 (Small).JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 1,226
My reflectors have arrived i can now build the frame for them.It will be a small scale Greg Hiller arrangement .

Attachments

• DSCF0560 (Small).JPG
    DSCF0560 (Small).JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 1,224
Back