2 birdsnest coral bleaching at base, small frag is ok?

STiTCH87

Saltwater OCD Victim
I have a Birds Of Paradise Birdsnest & a ORA Green Birdsnest that have both within the past day or two randomly started bleaching to snowy white at their bases.
Still have great polyp extension in both and growth has been fine the whole time. But I have a smaller frag of the BOP that doesn't have any bleaching on it, and all my other SPS look fine (pocillopora, acropora, & montipora cap) so IDK what could be the issue.

I'm gonna go test my calcium and alk right now and post results from that.

Otherwise all other levels are fine and where they always are.
The ONLY thing I can think of is that I have been using pH buffer (Kent Marine Super Buffer)
and raised pH from around 7.7 to 8.1 within the past 7 days time so maybe I raised it too fast, or shouldn't of raised it at all?
Now reading that 7.8 pH holds more calcium or something and is better for some SPS and doesn't put calcification into pumps?
IDK.

Anyone have any thoughts on what could be the cause?
Also, you guys think I should snip off the white parts or eave it and keep an eye on it?
If bleaching continues i'm definitely going to start fragging.

(Kent Marine Super Buffer) This will raise your alk so you may have had fluctuation there that caused issue. That would be my first place to look. Hard to tell unless you were measuring during the time you were adding the buffer if it may have caused isolated inceased alkalinity concentrations as well.

My alk did increase from an average around 7-8 up to 12 within a weeks time so i'm thinking that must be the issue (stupid me for not testing that daily when I tested pH)
Can't believe I made that mistake this long into the hobby.

Temp 77.0
Salinity 1.025
pH 8.1
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate ~0
Calcium 350
Alkalinity 12dkH

Would it be better to do a 10 gallon water change tonight all at once, or do a 5g change tonight and another 5g on say Sunday or Monday?
I don't want to dilute anything back down to quick and have another swing mess anything up.

yup that would do it
ur calc is low as ur alk is high

I think i would let it be, also what motivated you to try to raise ur ph?

Alk swing is a major killer for SPS. When dosing, it is best to dose Cal and ALk at the same time. Most consumer test kits are not very accurate, I will avoid adjustment based on one parameter.

It's not advisable to both dose alk and ca at the same time. At least for BRS product. The two will just react to each other and precipitate. Dose them 10-15minites apart in a high flow area. The drain from display in the sump or directly where the powerhead is directing flow in the display.

What is your magnesium level? If its above 1300ppm, it'll keep your alk(so in turn your PH) much more stable.
1400ppm is prime.

Unfortunately I don't have a Mag test kit. It's never too in my list to order. And as to why I wanted to raise my pH, well I had always been told that 8.2 pH was ideal and that 7.8 was in the lower end. But sure to say I should've just stuck with the if it ain't broke don't fix it routine. Do you guys think the bleaching is going to stop or continue? The ORA Green still looks awesome, better than ever even, just a small patch of white, but about a quarter inch of the entire base of the BOP is white.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

This happened to my birdsnest not long ago. Before you start chasing quasai numbers from kit's not meant to be that precise, change water. I changed 5 gal every other day till my birdsnest looked nice again (120gal DT, no sump). Changing water is usually the best thing you can do. Pollutants you can't even measure are diluted out. That's my 2 pesos.

Will do. I mean both Birdsnest still look awesome. Better than ever even. I think they like the higher alk, but just didn't like the swing. My water has been extremely clear ever since I raised pH and alk too. It's not possible for the white area to ever come back to life is it? I did a WC last night and doing another tomorrow. Keeping a close monitor on all my levels.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

Back