Birdsnest Coral Bleaching in my 29 Gallon Biocube-Looking for Help...

Braden8558

Non-member
Hello everyone,

I have had a 29 gallon biocube tank set up since late December or early January. So it is about 6-7 months old give or take. Yesterday I looked and saw that my pink birdsnest with purple polyps was completely bleached white and looked dead. Today it looks the same and looks like it will not come back. My other regular birdsnest also is bleaching now and is almost entirely bleached (only the tips remain). Does anyone know my problem? The other SPS seems alright. I have pociliopora and montipora and various types of acropora. It also looks like some of my xenia died to. I assume you guys will want paramaters which I haven't measured yet because I have finals and homework to do and have to take down a fish tank too! I will probably take those later today or tonight. I think a water change is my best bet, but I need to go out and buy more distilled water so it might be a day or two. My last water change was on 6/1/14 so I am due for another one. My tank had fine parameters then though so I am not sure what it is. I will try to upload some parameters later but do any of you know what the problem might be? This is the first time I have encountered this.

Thanks for all the help, Braden!

Image One.jpgImage 3.jpgImage Two.jpg

What are your numbers for Ca, alk, mg, SG, and how stable are all of those numbers? How do you maintain your levels, and how often do you dose/make corrcetions?

^+1 What are your numbers?
Is the second picture Xenia? If so, it looks like an alk swing or low alk.
I would be interested in what your numbers look like and what corals are in the tank.

if their dying from the bottom up it could be a few thing 1.a pest of some sort feeding on it 2.make sure there is no unwanted electric currents if everything else in tank is fine you more than likely have a pest issue

Alk spike if I had to guess. I've had one do that overnight due to it

+1

I killed 3 of them in the past because of alk spikes.
I don't even try BN anymore in my tank,green or pink.
They both go south real fast after an alk spike.

I actually keep 1 BN in my tank just because they are sensitive to ALK......I call them indicator corals!

Back