3000sf Reef Project

I'm still thinking of 'borrowing' your fish room design in post 305 of this thread for my system.....it is an inspiration........

Your setup is amazing, truly inspiring.

I'm still thinking of 'borrowing' your fish room design in post 305 of this thread for my system.....it is an inspiration........

This is where I got my plans from. I didn't remember where i saw it but I remember now. I think his is better laid out then what i drew up. I think I have to redo my plans.

No major system problems lately although I did have the solenoid valve on my reactor CO2 get stuck closed (likely after a power outage) which threw off my numbers by the time I caught it and may have taken out a colony or two. Just the other morning, I awoke to the sound of running water - not the open faucet kind but the water pouring on the floor kind. A loose lettuce clip that was in my overflow had gotten caught and sucked into the durso. Fortunately, I think I only dumped around 5 gallons over the top before noticing. I also have a now-beyond-budding aptasia issue. There's really no easy way through that especially when the colonies are so large I can't even clean the glass on the bottom half of the tank. I'm going to try to beat them back as I frag things down to more manageable sizes but you can never get them all - sucks, but it's better than AEFW.

I shot some cascade-style sump plumbing tips to Cjtabares and figure I throw them here also for info's sake:

1 - Oversize your drains. I assume you are going to bulkhead out from the side of one tank then into the top of the next. I think I used 1.5" plumbing for that and they barely keep up with the flow. When a screen is added to the tank side of the drain bulkhead, it gets even worse. The fuge tank which has the screen runs with the water level a bit higher than I wanted. The drain inlet is totally submerged on that one so there's no margin if the screen starts to get covered.

2 - Consider how close you put your drain bulkheads to the top of each tank. As I alluded to above, the water level may be higher than the top of the drain opening depending on how much flow through you have.

3 - Think about adding a bypass or two. I put one in the plumbing feeding into the frag tank so I could dial back the flow when I wanted to see in without looking through a turbulent surface. I also put one before the main reservoir of the sump so I can cut if off completely when I want to do a water change, thus not affecting the flow or water level in the rest of the system during the drain and refill.

4 - If you have more than 5-6 inches of plumbing coming off of a drain bulkhead (like in the case of valves for a bypass), I recommend using a couple inches of flexible PVC coming out of the bulkhead so you don't end up torquing your glass and cracking it. That happened to me and I had to replace a tank.

Back