3000sf Reef Project

Mason is actually just over the border from Townsend, MA - about a half-hour west of Nashua, NH.

I'll try to take a few photos tonight if I'm home before the lights start going out. Nothing has really changed in the display tank since 9/80 but the corals have grown considerably even after everything within 2-3" of the water line got cooked when my sump power strip came unplugged over the winter and shut down the return (but not the halides) for at least a few hours.

Here are pics from the recent wet test of the basement sump:
IMG_3385.jpg

IMG_3388.jpg

IMG_3389.jpg

And of course, the reason for wet testing before going forth with the real-deal:
IMG_3392.jpg

The plumbing coming off that bulkhead was too rigid and not exactly square with the glass. The bulkhead seal was leaking so I tightened it a little and crack. Oh well, fortunately it is a relatively cheap tank and GlassCages is delivering in Boston next month.

If anyone is in need of a 48" x 18" x 17" 65 gallon tank and wants to try their hand at replacing a pane - come and get it. I took the top frame off and cut away the silicone from the inside before I decided it was going to be more trouble than it was worth.

Last edited:
We've been chipping away at the basement expansion and it's finally starting to look like something:
IMG_3351.jpg

All of the tanks and tubs are installed with most of the plumbing done. Next on the list is to get the return pump(s) and drill the lower sump tub for the bulkheads. Once that's done, I should be able to fill the system from the hose and test it out.

A Lumenarc reflector is sitting in the frag tank for eventual installation above.

i dont know about you but i think that MH will cause some issue with water in it lol just had to do it :)

WOW Jason! Your tank has come a long way. Looks amazing. Give me a call sometime, we'll have to get together.

Thanks Eddie. Will do. Set another tank up already and come take back some frags. You still have the same cell?

Here's a recap of the last 2.5 years with a shot from yesterday at the end:

12/07
IMG_2642a.jpg

5/08
IMG_2801a.jpg

9/08
IMG_3090a.jpg

5/09
IMG_3396a.jpg

I didn't clean the glass before the last shot as you can tell. It's actually about impossible to get to the large patches of coraline towards the bottom because the corals have grown in the way. The off color on the right side is from a brand new bulb that I'm IM screening for a few days.

Been pretty busy with a baby in the house - Ian born 12/8/09. Progress has been made though. The basement sump system is running and the tank is tied into it. The frag tank is still bypassed at the moment but it's next on the list. I wanted to see how it all ran (temperature stability and evaporation rate) before tying on another 12 square feet of open water surface area. So far all is well. I'm hoping to get the frag tank going very soon as the main tank is extremely over-grown.

Whoa!

Congratulations on the birth of your baby boy, bro! Welcome to the club. :D How do you like being a Dad?

That's great that your tank is making even more progress. We can't wait to see how it all looks. Take your time, of course. With a four month old baby and all, you've kinda got your hands full. ;)

Thats a very nice set up I cant wait to get my own house to make my display tanks look as good . great job keep it up

The tank is in a bit of a rough state at the moment. Everything got way overgrown to the point where smaller colonies started dying on account of reduced flow and lighting. I finally got the fragile tank in the basement going and started cutting things back. Once I get it claened up, I'll shoot up some pics.

Its summer time i think it happens to everyone. Awesome setup! Run into any problems over the past months

Back